This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

What I would like to be able to do (involving collections)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
JhereJAB
Registered Member
OS
Hello,

I'd like to start by saying bravo on Amarok in general. I really love the thing. ;D
--
EDIT2: After looking around a bit I saw that my original first piece of this post was basically a copy of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=121&t=74734

However, thats not why I'm posting. I would like to say that While Amarok is wonderful at playing music, it lacks greatly in collection sorting.

My computer is set up as the media server of the house, containing our Music, Pictures, and Videos. As such, I have my music on here, my dad's music on here, and both of my brother's.

What I would like to be able to do is to be able to either search the collection based on files in a directory. Another solution (and possibly the better one) would be to allow more than one collection from the local machine.

This is my setup at the moment, its a bit unorganized by my standards, but its not hard to follow.

/Music = Main music directory, all Music is in here.

/Music/From Dad's = My dad's (and mom's) collection

/Music/collection = Currently this is my collection

/Music/collection2 = Also my collection, I was having trouble with itunes on windows so created extra collection folders for certain updates to my collection

/Music/David = Music that my brother specifically listens to.

/Music/offline = Downloaded Music that hasn't been added to the general collection on my iPod yet.

What I would like to be able to do is filter through and only see the music within /Music/collection, /Music/collection2, and /Music/offline.

The rest of the post is not a duplicate. (I think)
--

On a related note, the last time I attempted to import music into the collection, Amarok destroyed my music instead of moving it. :(( I had to find it all again and reload it onto my computer. (moved from /Music/offline to /Music/collection3)

and Finally: For some reason, some artists do not display at all. for example, searching on "Linkin Park" displays "Bonnie Raitt"?! but there aren't any songs available to play. adding the files manually from the file browser shows the linkin park songs as having the artist Bonnie Raitt. changing the "Artist" field in track details to Linkin Park doesn't change it, but changing the Artist to anything else does work. The same thing happens with "Cavo" and "Jim Sturgess".

original artist field = Bonnie Raitt
Attempted change to Linkin Park... Artist still Bonnie Raitt
attempted change to "thisisatest"... Artist changed to "thisisatest"
attempted change back to Link Park... Artist changed to Bonnie Raitt.

I hope I was clear in what I was trying to get across, and I hope you all can help me, or at least point me in the right direction, I was very unsuccessful with Google. I found a couple bug reports that claimed these issues had been fixed...

$: amarok --version
Qt: 4.5.2
KDE: 4.3.2 (KDE 4.3.2)
Amarok: 2.2.0

Thanks much,
Jacob

EDIT: sorry, forgot to say that I'm running Kubuntu 9.10 in case that makes a difference.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I strongly suggest you update to either Amarok 2.2.1 or 2.2.2, to be released on Monday, since your version is quite old already.
You can find all necessary instructions in the announcements on http://kubuntu.org
You will also need to upgrade to KDE 4.3.4, which is in the regular karmic-backports repository now. Should you have some packages refusing to install, just use
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

this will resolve eventual library dependencies.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...