This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

filenames need converted

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
loudog
Registered Member
OS

filenames need converted

Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:37 am
hi im new to the forum but love amarok. i recently helped a friend with his dead ipod shuffle. i used a linux cd and pulled his backup ipod files. the backup files have the ipod database tags IE GXHX.mp3 as the file name. now when we played them in amarok it knew the song title and group etc.etc. can amarok rename the files to their proper names?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: filenames need converted

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:51 am
Well, you can rename the tags if you right click on the track and edit the track details, but Amarok can't rename those automatically, since the database format is completely different.
Also, if you have many files to tag, you should use an external tagger like kid3, easytag or Picard, Amarok is not meant to be used for mass tagging.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
loudog
Registered Member
OS

Re: filenames need converted

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:17 am
hmmmm. well if i click on the edit track details/tags i can see all the info that brandon wants back on the file name. the files are named like QXNR.MP3 which is reflected in the address bar /home/br/ipodrec/QXNR.MP3 the tag window shows this address at the bottom in the body the song name, artist, composer etc is shown. the problem is the actual file name does not reflect this info. other than renaming each file individually (he has about 6.5gb) im thinking that some program can rename the files to their proper song names. he is wanting to get a cheaper replacement for now but if he loads these files the song names will be QXNR.MP3 or the like. i will check into the programs you suggest and see what they can acomplish. thanks for the reply, im trying to win my buddy over to linux (i do all my ipod stuff in gtkpod love it) and he is getting closer with all the drm stuff he has had to deal with lately.
thank you so, loudog :)