This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Where is the old File Browser in Amarok 2.3?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
whashnez
Registered Member
OS
Hello,

I liked Amarok 2.3 very very much, but in great disappointment I saw that the old file browser in Media Sources view is missing. I'm from Greece and I have a great issue all these years with the greek fonts and the codecs of those fonts in every application I used in every system anywhere. I adored Amarok because I couled go to my folder and bookmark it, bookmark every folder that I like and search my music through the bookmark folders. In Amarok 2.3, the path to the files is not editable and every file is shown, so all I can see is 10 blue folders and no path at all. Also in the bookmark manager I cannot bookmark the current folder I'm in. Can you please bring back the old file browser?

Congratulations on your great work!

Well good job Einstein, why don't we build a rocket in the meantime...
nhn
KDE Developer
OS
The old file browser was removed for a number of reasons. First of all, the code was very old and becoming hard to maintain. It also had several bugs and issues that there were not easy fix for. Also, in the terms of look and feel, it really id not fit well within Amarok.

Another reason it was removed is that it really makes little sense in our opinion, to include an inferior copy of Dolphin in a music player. If you really need an advanced file manager, there are other apps that fill this role much better, and you can drag and drop files directly from them into the Amarok playlist.

That said, we know that the new file browser is missing some features and can be improved a lot in other ways, so we plan to keep working on it over the next few releases.
whashnez
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for answering! I guess you're right, it didn't fit well in the Amarok look. Anyway I reorganized my music in the collection, so we' re ok. The only feature I would like to see is the bookmarks to certain folders in the browser. Keep it up!

Well good job Einstein, why don't we build a rocket in the meantime...
atrox
Registered Member
OS
Is there a list of TODO's for the new file browser? It would be great to check that out before bursting the ideas into bugs.kde.org :)
nhn
KDE Developer
OS
Is "In my head" a valid answer? :-P

Seriously though, what we want to create is a minimal but functional file browser. Some features fro the old one will definitely _not_ make a comeback, but currently some features are desperately needed.

I think a thread like this would actually be a better place to collaborate on a set of minimal-but-sufficient features it needs to have. So bring it on! :-)
atrox
Registered Member
OS
Okay.. some ideas..

1) Renaming files and directories
2) I don't seem to find any way to configure the view (detailed, icons etc)
3) Edit tags of files in directories recursively (ie. "Edit Track Details" being enabled on directory).
atrox
Registered Member
OS
Oh, BTW, what does "Move/Copy To Collection" do? Especially if the folder is already part of the local collection.
atrox
Registered Member
OS
4) Make deleting end moving to trash consistent with rest of KDE (isn't there any filepart library in KDE that is used by both Dolphin and Konqueror?)
tnt
Registered Member
OS
ImagePNG, 800x469px, 88 KB (0.09 MB)

Fullscreen Move/Copy to collection doesn't fit that well in 2.3.0
markey
KDE Developer
OS
atrox wrote:4) Make deleting end moving to trash consistent with rest of KDE (isn't there any filepart library in KDE that is used by both Dolphin and Konqueror?)

Yeah, I think we could add that rather easily.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
huhu
Registered Member
OS
I have a problem with the new file browser. It seems that it doesn't support *.wma files. mp3's can be found but when I'm navigating to a file containing wma's there's nothing displayed.
Is this a bug or did I oversee something in the preferences?

Is there another possibility to automatically import files than via the file browser?

Regards and sorry for my bad english (:
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
In 2.3-GIT, I can navigate to the few .wma files I have either by a search of my collection, or via the files browser. Can you clarify what you mean by "Is there another possibility to automatically import files than via the file browser"? All you need do to add tracks to your collection automatically, is to go to the menu Settings > Configure Amarok > Collection and there click the folders which contain your collection. Fully Rescan Entire Collection, and once it is done scanning, Quit Amarok. Upon restarting it, your entire collection should be counted and show up for you in the Collection Browser.
huhu
Registered Member
OS
Hi, thanks for your answer.
I installed the GIT-version now, but I still don't see any wma-files.
With the auto-import I meant the function of automatically import files to your collection by selecting them in the file browser -> right click -> copy to your collection.
Then the files are renamed by tag and move to automatically created folders.

I hope that I described this in an understandable way now.
Regards
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Hmmm. I've not really used that function before, but I just tried it out to move an mp4 into my collection. That worked fine. Sorry, I don't have any wma files outside of my collection to try moving in. What happens when you use the "filter files" search bar?
huhu
Registered Member
OS
I found a workaround. MusicBrainz Picard now tags, renames and moves the files to my music folder.

Thanks for your help. I hope that they fix this but in the meantime I'll use Picard instead.