This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 2.3 new interface: How do you stop a song?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
markey
KDE Developer
OS
ChemBro wrote:
markey wrote:
ChemBro wrote:My problem is still present (and ignored). :-/ What about the behaviour of internetstreams (as stated in the first post)?

We are already thinking about solutions for this problem. We might simply "special-case" these types of media that cannot be paused, and then stop them instead.

This would pretty much solve this issue, I think.

Yes, would be, in my opinion.

Good news: I've just fixed this problem. See here:

http://gitorious.org/amarok/amarok/comm ... 3e2939d048

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
ChemBro
Registered Member
OS
ripper17
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:Just as a reminder: there is a global shortcut for stopping: Meta+V, why not use that?

@Annew: what difference does that make if you pause a track and then switch to another one or stop it and swtich then? AFAIAC I can't see any difference.

From a usability point of view: it's confusing. The effect is probably the same, whether I "pause" or "stop" a track - but from the wording alone, this is not intuitive - at all!

Here's the use case from Annew in a little more detail
1.) User listens to new music (doesn't really matter if (s)he got a new album from a friend or listening to a music store stream or ...)
2.) User doesn't like the new music, but does not have anything else loaded in the playlist
3.) User wants to stop the currently played song
4.) User cannot find a Stop button
5.) User is confused.

Of course, you are correct that from a technical point of view, there is no difference in 'pausing and switching' and 'stopping and switching' - there is however a difference in concepts.
I agree with Annew that "Pause" has the meaning of "I want to restart listening at exactly this point later" (e.g. after I finished a phone call).
"Stop" has the meaning of "don't bother me with this track any more, stop it!"

Best

Martin

openSUSE 13.2 x64, Platform Version 4.14.X, Kubuntu 14.04 (LTS), Platform Version 4.13.X
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
If you must have a stop as well as a pause, there is always the Slim Toolbar. View > Slim Toolbar.

Valorie
anli
Registered Member
OS
What user's steps are in developers' mind for, say, starting current song from the beginning (similar to 'Stop, Play')?
jglen490
Registered Member
OS
My lord. 20 posts to define the difference between "stop" and "pause".

Please, listen to your users.

I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.
Proudly wearing a negative Karma.
Kubuntu 12.04 .2, Dell Dimension 3000
seeker5528
Registered Member
jglen490 wrote:My lord. 20 posts to define the difference between "stop" and "pause".

Defining the difference was never an issue.

The issue was defining a use case where the difference between stop and pause actually makes a difference.

As far as I can tell the only usage difference would be if it's paused and you decide you want to start the track from the beginning again you double click the highlighted track in the playlist instead of hitting the pause/play button. Not really enough to justify having an extra button.

Later, Seeker
Lukas
Registered Member
I think it could be called more accurately - "suspend" instead of "pause" or "stop", as in the end the result is the same - sound goes away. Its just that a users are more used to terms 'pause" or stop...
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
A few users care. Most use the new way without a question or complaint. For those few who don't like the new way, we have the old slim toolbar.

Valorie
Mamarok
Manager
OS
..And the keyboard shortcut :)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
jglen490
Registered Member
OS
In a user-centric development universe, the use cases for "stop" and "pause" would indeed be different. It has nothing to do with "user confusion", but everything to do with usage and process.

Yes, the solutions for each are different by a very few, inconvenient lines of code, or instructions, or configuration; but that's a developer-centric view.

Your choice ;)

I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.
Proudly wearing a negative Karma.
Kubuntu 12.04 .2, Dell Dimension 3000
ChemBro
Registered Member
OS
One question: Why doesn't a song stay paused, after a "restart" of amarok?
google01103
Manager
Possibly because in settings "resume playback on start" is checked and takes precedence

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

ChemBro
Registered Member
OS
It is, but that is not the behaviour I expected. There is no stop-button in the default design, why doesn't the song stay paused? Shouldn't the song only be played, if I didn't pause it?
molecule-eye
Registered Member
OS
Switch to the slim toolbar. Here's another reason to prefer stop to pause: pausing causes huge amounts of cpu wake ups according to powertop, and this isn't the case when amarok is paused. Here's a bug report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=235165.

So stopping rather than pausing causes potential battery savings.