This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 2.3 new interface: How do you stop a song?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ChemBro
Registered Member
OS
Since Amarok 2.3 (Beta), there is a new interface (the new toolbar). Looks fancy, cool, I don't know. I like it very much.

The only problem I have: How do I stop a song with the new toolbar?

That might be not so interesting with my mp3-collection, but I for example want to stop internetstreams instead of pausing them, simply because pause/unpause a stream for a longer period of time stops the stream and instead of reestablish the stream, it jumps to the next song/stream in my playlist, which is kinda annoying. I stop the stream and play it, when I need it.

So is there a way to stop a song in Amarok 2.3 (besides workarounds)?
google01103
Manager
you can change to the slim tool bar (in view), it still has a stop button

this sounds more like a bug, maybe you should post to bugzilla

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

ChemBro
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:you can change to the slim tool bar (in view), it still has a stop button

That's right, but then... I can't use that fancy new toolbar... And that toolbar is really cool.

this sounds more like a bug, maybe you should post to bugzilla

Well... that's the new toolbar. There is no stop-button (at least not a visible one for me, maybe there is a hidden stop-button). That's a feature, or not? Report that as a bug seems... silly.

That's why I'm asking here.
Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen
Registered Member
The thing is, though, i'm just wondering... Why do you want to actually stop playback, rather than simply pause it? It did take a bit of getting used to thinking that way for me too, but... now i really must wonder, what i was thinking before - there is very little reason to stop playback of music immediately.

* Phone rings, you click pause
* You have to leave the house...
** You turn on "stop after this track" and leave it to run out while you get ready
** Or you click pause
...i see no reason, really, to stop playback anywhere. Maybe when you want to shut down the computer or whatnot, but... Surely simply quitting the program (or logging off) will do that for you? Please, since you so interestingly decided to put this in the Usability section, you must have a use case for the immediate stop playback functionality that entirely escapes me.

P.S.: "It's what I'm used to" is not a valid use case ;)
ChemBro
Registered Member
OS
Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen wrote:The thing is, though, i'm just wondering... Why do you want to actually stop playback, rather than simply pause it?

The answer is in the first post (the longer section). Maybe I didn't express myself well enough. It's a problem with internetstreams.
jajaX
Registered Member
OS
Hi (sorry for my bad english)

all audio(/video) are stop button. when I go to works, I stop my music and close amarok. I can use my keyboard "stop" button for that ok (and/or "stop" button in amarok like before).

I have got 2 Go RAM but I stop music, and amarok, when I don't use use it.

use "slim tool bar", yes but curious answer and choice for user and developper...

edit : other exemple :

I'm listening podcast. I don't like it => stop (and choice other podcast or close amarok).

regards
jaja
--------
abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI/Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600/6041 Mo DDR2/2 Asus silent 8600 Gt 512Mo & ACER Aspire 5612 WLMI : kubuntu Maverick Meerkat 11.04 (32 bits) & KDE SC 4.7 - amarok 2.4.1 - kmail2
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
jajaX, can you explain how, in any of your examples, stop rather than pause would be needed? If you pause, and then close Amarok, it will open up with that track queued up, just as if you stopped. Of course you can still use your keyboard shortcuts to stop, if you prefer that.

If you are listening to a podcast, and tire of it, and pause rather than stop it before you switch to another, what is the practical difference?

I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything; I'd just like to know.

Valorie
jajaX
Registered Member
OS
Hi !

yes ok. it's just "bizarre" !

regards
jaja
--------
abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI/Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600/6041 Mo DDR2/2 Asus silent 8600 Gt 512Mo & ACER Aspire 5612 WLMI : kubuntu Maverick Meerkat 11.04 (32 bits) & KDE SC 4.7 - amarok 2.4.1 - kmail2
ChemBro
Registered Member
OS
My problem is still present (and ignored). :-/ What about the behaviour of internetstreams (as stated in the first post)?
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
ChemBro wrote:My problem is still present (and ignored). :-/ What about the behaviour of internetstreams (as stated in the first post)?

You didn't answer the question. "Why do you want to actually stop playback, rather than simply pause it?" We must have a use case for this. The problem with Shoutcast and Icecast streams is known, and a solution is being worked on.

Valorie
markey
KDE Developer
OS
ChemBro wrote:My problem is still present (and ignored). :-/ What about the behaviour of internetstreams (as stated in the first post)?

We are already thinking about solutions for this problem. We might simply "special-case" these types of media that cannot be paused, and then stop them instead.

This would pretty much solve this issue, I think.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
annew
Manager
OS
Why would I want to stop playback? I quite often do want to. I like to try out new albums from Magnatune, and inevitably some of them are simply not to my taste. At that point I stop playback and choose another album. There's no point in pausing if you don't intend coming back to it.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
ChemBro
Registered Member
OS
markey wrote:

We are already thinking about solutions for this problem. We might simply "special-case" these types of media that cannot be paused, and then stop them instead.

This would pretty much solve this issue, I think.

Yes, would be, in my opinion.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Just as a reminder: there is a global shortcut for stopping: Meta+V, why not use that?

@Annew: what difference does that make if you pause a track and then switch to another one or stop it and swtich then? AFAIAC I can't see any difference.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I also note that the Slim toolbar features a stop button.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]