This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 2.3.0 "Clear Light" - Not an improvement

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Snowhog
Registered Member
OS
Upgraded to 2.3.0 from 2.2.2.90 today. Amarok still crashes after the first track of a music CD finishes.

Last edited by Snowhog on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Administrator
Kubuntu Forums . Net - https://kubuntuforums.net
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Snowhog, do you think this is the same as bug

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=222845 or 226071? Please run Amarok in the console,
Code: Select all
amarok --debug

and compare your backtrace to to 222845 & 226071. Add your feedback to one of those bug reports if it seems similar.

Thanks for your report.

Valorie
Snowhog
Registered Member
OS
From http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.p ... #msg222542 on Kubuntuforums.net:
I tried some bold steps and finally everything works for me. No more crashes whatsoever. Note to self: once there is a major update, wipe clean the previous version completely. Can't test the CD problem cos I don't have a Music CD.

Wipe out your config and application layout and database.

mv .kde/share/apps/amarok/ ~
mv .kde/share/config/amarok* ~

You lose all your playlist, cover arts, etc... but Amarok works amazingly well again. You can try putting the config/database back one by one. Though I don't bet on that. Wipe config alone will not give you a functional Amarok you have to kill apps/amarok as well, like in my case, layout isn't remembered and new scanned tracks got weird random tag from random existing track.

My reply:
Just tried this, and then used Amarok to play a music CD. Works! No crashes!!

Amarok wouldn't play the CD when launched from the Device Notifier (Play Audio CD with Amarok), but after closing Amarok, and with the CD still in the caddy, then relaunching Amarok allowed me to play the CD with:

Amarok > Play Media > Places > Audio CD > Full CD > [album name].cda (.flac, .ogg, and .wav are other choices).

I switched tracks - back and forth; allowed a track to finish and start the next; jumped to the end of the playing track all othe manner of manual navigation. Amarok played them all with nary a crash. Cool.

Followed by:
I figured out how, through the Device Notifier, to get Amarok to launch when I have inserted a music CD into the caddy.

The default Device Action for Play Audio CD with Amarok is written incorrectly. I deleted the bad .desktop file in /usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/ and added a new entry (this puts the resulting .desktop file in ~/.kde/share/apps/solid/actions which I called Open Music CD with Amarok. This is what the contents of the .desktop file contains:

[Desktop Action open]
Exec=amarok --cdplay audio:/
Icon=amarok
Name=Open Music CD with Amarok
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=desktop_kdebase-workspace

[Desktop Entry]
Actions=open;
Type=Service
X-KDE-Action-Custom=true
X-KDE-Solid-Predicate=[OpticalDisc.availableContent == 'Audio' AND StorageVolume.ignored == false]

Works flawlessly (so far).

Administrator
Snowhog
Registered Member
OS
Until the updates that I installed tonight:
amarok amarok-common amarok-dbg amarok-utils libsmbclient libwbclient0 samba-common samba-common-bin smbclient

Amarok again, crashes playing music CDs.

I've had enough. Amarok 1.4 worked, and worked well. This 2.* 'upgrade' is not an improvement. I've removed all traces of Amarok from my system and will stick with VLC - it works.

Administrator
greenoak
Registered Member
have to agree with OP. until amarok2 gets to the awesome level of amarok1.4, vlc is a good choice.
blackpaw
Registered Member
OS
Juk is pretty good as well.
jglen490
Registered Member
OS
I agree with the OP. Amarok has taken some giant steps backwards.

I enjoy listening to streaming music from various web sites (sky.fm, in particular). Amarok does not play. It seems to count time, but regardless of what I've tried in terms of codecs, plugins, etc. there is no joy.

I pulled the most recent Amarok (2.3.0) from the Kubuntu repos a day or so ago. tried to listen, still no love. Did an immediate "remove". I use mplayer with the smplayer front-end. Works well, as do some other players; just not Amarok.

I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.
Proudly wearing a negative Karma.
Kubuntu 12.04 .2, Dell Dimension 3000
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Always thought this is the usability forum, better call it rant forum. Anyway, all the posters here should consider, that there are strangly enough amany working Amarok 2.3.x installation out there. So perhaps they/their distro (especially Sh++tbuntu) have problems with their setup/packages or they try cooking with amarok. I'm using SVN/GIT since amarok 2.0 and there was a lot of frustration in the beginning, but A2 evolved and it does now what 1.x did before for me and a lot more.
So plz stop whining, check your setups and report it. There will be helping hands, but not for the narrow minded.

m0nk
who is neither a fan nor in aany way involved in the development of Amarok

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
blackpaw
Registered Member
OS
Dieter Schroeder wrote:So plz stop whining, check your setups and report it.

Might as well post them to the north pole as report bugs/issues with Amarok.
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
If you don't like the music, just go to another club.
-Lou Reed

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
jglen490
Registered Member
OS
Dieter Schroeder wrote:Always thought this is the usability forum, better call it rant forum. Anyway, all the posters here should consider, that there are strangly enough amany working Amarok 2.3.x installation out there. So perhaps they/their distro (especially Sh++tbuntu) have problems with their setup/packages or they try cooking with amarok. I'm using SVN/GIT since amarok 2.0 and there was a lot of frustration in the beginning, but A2 evolved and it does now what 1.x did before for me and a lot more.
So plz stop whining, check your setups and report it. There will be helping hands, but not for the narrow minded.

m0nk
who is neither a fan nor in aany way involved in the development of Amarok

Nice try. There are also, strangely enough, many Amarok installations that are NOT working. That is a problem, when an application is inconsistent, then it is wrong/buggy/bad/in need of improvement. You are just another Linux snob, and I've run into way too many of you. Listen to the problem, contribute to the solution or just keep quiet, because your "helping hands" also have missed the mark.

And yes, this has turned into a rant forum because a lot of people are frustrated with inconsistent, buggy software that needs fixing.

I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.
Proudly wearing a negative Karma.
Kubuntu 12.04 .2, Dell Dimension 3000
Mamarok
Manager
OS
OK, that's enough. jglen490, please read the Forum Policy, insulting people is simply a no-go.
Consider this thread to be locked.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...