This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

2.3 volume slider scrolls in unexpected direction

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tikitu
Registered Member
OS
Scrolling the new vertical volume slider with a mousewheel does the opposite of what I expect. Am I the odd one out, or is Amarok?

(The scroll movement that takes me up on a page takes the volume down, and vice versa.)
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
When I scroll up, the volume goes up, as I would expect. When I scroll down, the volume goes down.

Works for me!

Valorie
tikitu
Registered Member
OS
How odd... (I mean, how expected, but how odd that it doesn't for me!) Guess I'll stop complaining about it then.
markey
KDE Developer
OS
tikitu wrote:How odd... (I mean, how expected, but how odd that it doesn't for me!) Guess I'll stop complaining about it then.

Uhm, that really is odd indeed.

Only thing I can imagine: Your distribution's packagers might have changed this (patched it) for one reason or another. Which distro are you using, and which KDE version?

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
tikitu
Registered Member
OS
I'm happy to believe that there's something weird about my setup (although what that might be, I'm out of my depth). But if you want to try to track it down, here's what I'm running:

Amarok 2.3.0 build date Mar 19 2010 (from help menu)
KDE 4.4.1 (also from help menu)
Ubuntu 9.10 (from /etc/lsb-release)
Amarok package version: 2:2.3.0-0ubuntu1~karmic1~ppa2
(apt-cache show amarok)
which I guess is coming from /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu karmic main

The other complication that I could vaguely imagine coming in is that I run StumpWM, not KDE, as window manager.

If there's anything more I should be telling you, I'll be happy to check it out.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
I just noticed, while checking something else, that KDE allows one the choice to change the scrollwheel direction. You find this in System Settings > Computer Administration > Keyboard and Mouse > Mouse: check/uncheck Reverse Scrollwheel Direction

So this is something you might look at, if you have not already.

Valorie
tikitu
Registered Member
OS
Thanks Valorie. I don't think this is the problem, but I can't check it properly: I tried to start a KDE session for the first time in many months (and many upgrades) and couldn't log in. So until I figure out what that problem is, this has to remain speculation.

But none of my other apps behave this way. Most of them are not KDE-native, so I installed KWrite as a partial check: it scrolls the direction I expect (and would presumably be using KDE settings, which e.g. Firefox might not). Not conclusive, but suggestive.

I just realised my "bug report" sucked: I should have specified that this applies only to the dropdown view of the volume widget with the slim toolbar (click the volume widget to get it). Just scrolling with the mouse over the widget works as expected in both slim and main toolbar views. (This is what I meant by "vertical volume slider", but that almost certainly wasn't clear enough.)
rerx
Registered Member
I just realised my "bug report" sucked: I should have specified that this applies only to the dropdown view of the volume widget with the slim toolbar (click the volume widget to get it). Just scrolling with the mouse over the widget works as expected in both slim and main toolbar views. (This is what I meant by "vertical volume slider", but that almost certainly wasn't clear enough.)
Yes, I get exactly the same behaviour as you do. It looks like we got our packages from the same sources.