This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Partial Collection Rescan

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kaneohe
Registered Member
OS

Partial Collection Rescan

Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:47 pm
I've got a pretty sizable number of files and I do not use the built-in tag editor to maintain my collection. Even with the "watch for changes" enabled when I update only the tags within a file (i.e. to update/change the genre) amarok simply does not see the changes until I rescan the files. As far as I'm aware there's no good way to rescan only a very small subset of my collection. The only way I know is to remove an entire parent directory (structured as: Artist/Album/##. Track) from the collection and then add it back in. It is overkill to rescan 1000 files in that parent directory when I only need to rescan 20 files.

It would be much nicer to see an option to rescan a collection group (i.e. genre, artist) based on the current sort in the Media Sources/Local Collection view. If I drill down to a single album, then rescan just that album. If I've selected an artist, rescan all the files in that group.
google01103
Manager

Re: Partial Collection Rescan

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:42 pm
If you change the configuration of the tagger used to change the time codes of the files re-tagged (in kid3 it's "preserve file timestamp") Amarok should see the change and rescan the dirs.

also, see http://jefferai.org/2010/01/rescanning-single-folders/

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Mamarok
Manager
OS

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:51 pm
Unfortunately you didn't specify which Amarok version you use...

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
kaneohe
Registered Member
OS

Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:26 am
Sorry about that. It's 2.3.1-r2 (KDE 4.4.5) which is the latest from the stable portage tree in Gentoo. I see that 2.3.1.90 is available in the unstable tree but I'm not too keen on running too many of those unless I need to.
kaneohe
Registered Member
OS

Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:52 pm
The more I play around with this the more I find the only real solution is to touch the album directory (my heirarchy is "<first letter of artist>/Artist/Year - Album/##. Track"). Once I do that amarok is able to update itself automagically. Since I use foobar2000 by way of Wine I don't know that I can change any settings to alter the directory timestamp while updating the files contained within.

I read the URL and gave it a try but it didn't do a scan unless I updated a directory timestamp. And at that point, why bother doing a rescan of an entire group of directories since amarok will do it for me? If I randomly select a directory and choose "rescan" in the collection settings the scan will pop up the progress bar for a fraction of a second and stop without actually scanning anything.

I've created a ServiceMenu to run touch to update the timestamp when I edit the tags in files already in my collection. This will let amarok see the changes and do what it needs to do.