This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Sort of collection list not possible?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tom82
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

sorry maybe I'm too stupid, but I can't manage to sort my collection in the way 'artist / album / song' and ascending in each level.

I can use the small arrow icon on the right top of the collection, but this switches the sort order of the artist descending and the albums ascending or the other way round. But what I like to have, is artists and albums sorted in ascending manner.

How can I do that?

Thanx
Tom
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Ascending by year or by title? Could you please be more specific?
The default sorting is artist/Year-Album, where artist is from A-Z and the albums are from the most recent to the last. If no year is specified (or the year display disabled) it shows the albums from A-Z.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
tom82
Registered Member
OS
Hi Mamarok,

I would like to have the default sorting Artist/Year, but not the most recent or newest album on top, but rather the oldest on top.

For example the list under "Led Zeppelin" should read:

1969 - Led Zeppelin I
1969 - Led Zeppelin II
1970 - Led Zeppelin III
1982 - Coda
1990 - Remasters

But if I understand it right, there is no option to switch the sort order of the albums on level 2 independly from artist on level 1.

When I start with the mentioned default sort order Artist/Year and the most recent album on top and then clicking on the small arrow at the end of the title line, I can change the order of the artist in the list from A-z to z-A. When I do this, the sort order of the albums is also changed. Now the most recent album ist the last one in the list.

Thanx
Tom
kilgor
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I'm looking for the same feature I think.

Currently I can sort my collection like this:

- Frank Sinatra
+ Garbage
-- 2007 - Absolute Garbage
-- 2005 - Bleed Like Me
++ 2001 - Beautiful Garbage
--- 1. Shut Your Mouth
--- 2. Androgyny
--- 3. ...
-- 1999 - You Look So Fine
-- 1998 - Version 2.0
- Hans Zimmer

The sort order is correct for the artist and the tracks, but makes no sense for the album order. Artist and tracks within an album are ascending, but albums sorted by year are descending. And it looks like this can't be changed.

Changing the main sort order inverts all sorts, which is even worse.

I like adding an artist's whole discography to the playlist and simply enjoying it from beginning to the end. Also makes sense to browse through the albums and singles in an ascending order.

To me the descending sort order for albums by year looks like a bug for I don't see any advantages to it.

I'm running Amarok 2.4.0, if there's a way to change the sort order for only years please let me know. Or if it would make sense to open a bug report on this.

Regards,

Amarok fan
Mamarok
Manager
OS
It is not possible, please file a wish for the component "Collection Browser".

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
lannyd23
Registered Member
Hi, None of these posts is very new. Has the sorting issue been resolved? Any new information?