This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

amarok 2.4 - view of music collection has changed

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
holgerw
Registered Member
Hello,

since amarok version 2.4 I've trouble with the view of my collection with classical music.

I use the following configuration:
first section - composer
second section - genre
third section - nothing

In amarok version 2.3 I've something like that:
- Bach, Johann Sebastian
- geistliche Musik
- Johannes-Passion - BWV 245

In the third section amarok 2.3 presents directly the titel of the composition.

But in version 2.4 I get this:
- Bach, Johann Sebastian
- geistliche Musik
- Solisten; Münchener Bach-Chor; Münchener Bach-Orchester; Richter, Karl (Ltg.) - Johannes-Passion - BWV 245

Amarok puts the whole entry of interpreter before the title.

My question: Can I configure my collection view in amarok 2.4 like that in version 2.3? Please keep in mind, that in classical music in the majority of cases the composer and name of composition is more important than the name of interpreter. This change of presentation in amarok 2.4 makes it rather useless for collections with classical music.

I hope, that there is a solution, because appart from that point amarok is a great piece of free software :-)

With best regards,
Holger
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Instead of setting nothing in the third section did you try setting it to Album name?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
holgerw
Registered Member
Hello,

thanks for your reply, but that does not help. I try the following:
third section - Album

Then amarok presents me a further sub section "unknown albun" or in german "Unbekanntes Album", that is normal, because I don't use the tag "album" and let it empty. In the sub section of "unbekanntes Album" I've the same situation: amarok puts the whole entries of interpreter before the titles.

If I use in the third section "Album-Interpret" as alternative, then I can't select any pieces of music.

A solution would be "title" as a further choosing option in every section, or a modification back to the behavior of amarok 2.3.

With best regards,
Holger
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Well, you should use the album id tag, as Amarok relies on well tagged tracks to be able to sort correctly. The suggested solution works fine for me at least. I usually only add one artist to the artist field and set the additional ones in the comments, which avoids long lists.

Of course, multiple artist per track would be ideal to have, but that is not implemented yet.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
holgerw
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:Well, you should use the album id tag, as Amarok relies on well tagged tracks to be able to sort correctly. The suggested solution works fine for me at least. I usually only add one artist to the artist field and set the additional ones in the comments, which avoids long lists.

Of course, multiple artist per track would be ideal to have, but that is not implemented yet.

Hello @Mamarok,

using album tags doesn't make sense in tagging classical music like symphonies, string quartets or oratorias. Why should I handle my classical music like pop music? The older version of amarok hasn't this "feature" to show all interpreters before the titles, if I chose the section hierachy
1. composer > 2. genre > 3. nothing. And what will happen, if I use the album tag as third section? I'll get a further sub section and there I've the same trouble.

I only want, that amarok presents me under "composer" > "genre" as the third section the pure titles of the compositions, nothing more and that was the case in amarok 2.3, and with the new version 2.4 this behavior has gone :-(

With best regards,
Holger
pwabrahams
Registered Member
OS
The problem exists on two levels: inappropriate tagging of the track and inappropriate presentation of it. You can modify the tagging of your tracks with, say, EasyTag. You can also change the layout of the playlist with Playlist / Playlist Layouts / Configure Playlist Layout. I did that and added a Composer field.

I'm glad to see there's interest here in how to play classical music in Amarok. I'm starting a new thread on that subject.