This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Basic drag and drop is missing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Martux
Registered Member
OS

Basic drag and drop is missing

Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:55 am
Hi! Is it just for me or on purpose:
When I try to drag a song out of my current playlist into the "places sidebar", means try to copy it anywhere else, this is not possible? Why? I have a special directory which I sync with my mp3-player, so it is quite useful if one can copy his tracks.

Last edited by Martux on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Copy tracks around

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:13 pm
You mean drag and drop it from Amarok elsewhere? I don't think that was ever meant to be possible. You can copy to other collections (context menu), and since media players are shown as a different collection that is the way to use it.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Martux
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:30 pm
No, I mean copying from the actual playlist into the directory viewer/browser built in amarok.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:21 pm
Right click on the track -> Show in Media Sources and there you can right click and select to copy to a media player.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Martux
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:06 am
Dear Miss 'Rok, you don't understand my issue. Maybe it is because of my badly translated terminology (all German here). Well, I try to make this clearer through two pictures you can find here:
https://www.wuala.com/Martux/Support/?key=ZF8jctyF4tA9
In the smaller one, you can see the part of Amarok i am referring to, the "file browser". In the second, bigger picture, you can see my problem. Drag and drop into that browser doesn't work. For some reason it is not possible to make a screenshot of the red "forbidden sign" the mouse cursor turned into.
But it should be pretty clear.
For that reason people depend on buggy 3rd party tools like "CopySelectedTracks" which are at least suboptimal to use. Not all of us like a "collection" driven approach and prefer file/directory based handling.
So, why is this not possible? I can drag those songs anywhere on my desktop, but not within the program itself?!
I use the directory based approach because I have a lot of mixed files (flac mostly), which I convert before copying to my player. A simple rsync script does a great job with that. Works smarter and easier for me, than Amarok does.
Well, I could write a lot more about being forced to do it this or that way in KDE lately, but that is not the topic.
A solution or explanation for my issue would be great. Thanks.
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:18 pm
Drag and drop file copying to collections, such as mp3 players, should be available in the next version of Amarok. I should also note that transcoding is available in Amarok for use with copying to mp3 players etc, so you don't need to do it externally. (You could use an 'mp3 player' label to mark the tracks you wish to sync, for example.)

If you want drag and drop support to the file browser despite the above, please feel free to modify it to your tastes. Amarok is designed as a collection based player, so I doubt such features will be implemented by the core devs.

Martux
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:50 pm
I still insist that this is an inconsistency and a bad one, though.
You are able to d&d all the stuff anywhere. It is only not possible to folders? WTF?
Please consider at least a "copy to" feature in the menu anywhere...
It's too bad to be dependent from ****, unmaintained 3rd party tools from kde-apps.org for SUCH BASIC FEATURES.
For the collections: I saw it break my collection so often in the last 7 or 8 years, I will NEVER trust it, ever!
Martux
Registered Member
OS

Re: Basic drag and drop is missing

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:07 am
Still not changed in Amarok-2.4.3. No helpful answers here anyways besides "change it yourself". Open Source madness at its best.
Why, oh why is there no way at all to copy files easily within Amarok itself?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:20 am
Various reasons: time constraints, real life and more important things on the individual developers list. It is really no use to whine, it won't change the situation. We could really need more developers instead :)

Martux
Registered Member
OS

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:26 am
Wah, well, I file bug reports when I can. That also is sometimes frustrating when there is no reply. Unfortunately I have no coding skills whatsoever, means I wouldn't be of any help.