This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

ID3-Tags stored with wrong permission in MySQL-dB?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mue.de
Registered Member
OS
Hello,

i've setup Amarok with the external MySQL-Database and the usergroup 'mysql', i'm a member of this group an everthing worked fine.
Then i stored my music-folder on an external usb-harddisk in an ext2-Partition, where the folders and files got my owner-rights -of course-
Now i experienced, that the tagging becomes more difficult:
Amarok forgets every setting in the dialog 'Metadata aus Dateinamen erraten' (recognise meta-data from filename?).
In that environment i realised, that the tagging scheme can't be stored (as a profile...), the entries (eg. %artist%title...) are forgotten after each Tag that is written to the file.
I mentionend that tagging should be as easy as in K3b (or Silverjuke under Windows): under amarok you can only retrieve metadata from the last part of the folder-structure, the filename. Is my Opinion right? You can't retrieve the artist from the folder name 'above' that title?
Amarok 2.3.0 on KDE 4.4.2 under (K)ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, latest updates

Thanks for your time

Another question: I have sampled a lot of screenshots and a longer 'HowTo' during my way to amarok; if someone is interested: is there a place to upload that article?
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
Wow, version 2.3.0 is REALLY old. I don't know if it was present in that version, but in current versions, there's a "use full file path" tickbox, which can be used to read the names of containing folders as well as the file itself.

Updating is highly recommended anyway; there are numerous bugfixes and new features since then.

As for howtos and so forth, we have a wiki and a manual, but please note that there have been a lot of changes since 2.3.0 and guides which can't be followed because they're out of date are just confusing.

mue.de
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for replying,

now i've just verified the actuality of my installation:
http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/images ... sitory.png
Since Lucid Lynx should be a LTS-Version (-2013) and i don't like to dist-upgrade (my last try from Hardy Heron to Lucid Lynx costed me a hole bunch of time) i would like to stay at this evolution-point ;-)
But i think, there isn't such a big difference -at the point of database-I/F-; the dialogue looks so http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/File:MySQL_Dialogue.png
I looked for new features and release notes, but there is -i.m.O.- still still a leak to the possibilities of ripping an tagging with K3b?
Shouldn't there be the same capabilities for pre- and post-tagging of titles, like here : http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/File:K3b_Ripping_Tags.png ?
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
If you enable the backports repo, you should at least be able to get 2.4.0, which is a bit more recent. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

The database doesn't have much to do with the tags in files; I'm not really sure what you're asking.

mue.de
Registered Member
OS
Somewhere in the wiki-part of amarok.kde.org i found that note:
...]
"Inability to write tags
If Amarok is not saving changes to tags, you may have permissions problems. Ensure that your user has write permissions to your music. For example,
chown -R youruser Music/
to change ownership to your user, or
chmod -R +w Music/
to add write permissions to the owner.
" [...
So, if i'm the user 'muelux' who is member of the group 'mysql', which has access rights to the mysql-dB used by amarok but amarok itself has only read-permissions to the externally stored music-files where it tries to store the id3-tags, what will happen?
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
If the user Amarok is running as doesn't have write access to your music files, it can't change the tags. (In up-to-date versions the tags fields will be greyed out and uneditable to make this clear; I'm not sure if this is present in older versions.) Access to the database is irrelevant.

mue.de
Registered Member
OS
I've tried to update adding the backport repository to my software resources, but there is only Amarok 2.3.2 as latest release for my LTS-Version. I will also have 22 actualisations that would be installed and 157 blocked actualisations: i won't take the risk of loosing a rather good runnnig system to get some advantages of Amarok.
I need Kubuntu -as it is- every day and had a lot of trouble getting it running (Suspend-Trouble, Akonadi, Nepomuk... crashs)
But thanks for your help, i'll try it soon on the other natty narwhal machine or after a full backup...
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid-backports/amarok
Amarok 2.4.0 is definitely present in Lucid backports. You can use pinning to ensure only Amarok packages are updated if you wish, or you may be able to just download Amarok and the related packages (amarok, amarok-common, amarok-utils, I think) and install those, without enabling the repository.

mue.de
Registered Member
OS
I found 'my' best repository under http://ppa.launchpad.net/sam-sentynel/amarok/ubuntu/ , maybe i was wrong looking for _K_ubuntu-Packages, sorry.
Now i've installed the new Amarok-Version and will try working with it; thanks a lot for your patience
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
Er, I wouldn't count on that PPA working properly; I was experimenting with it but never got it to work. Please use the official Ubuntu backports repository I linked.

I suppose I should remove that PPA to stop other people stumbling over it..

mue.de
Registered Member
OS
Sorry for my late reply, i didn't found time 'til now ;-(
I've tried to uninstall amarok (that from your -experimental- repository), to get the other version, but it went wrong:
Now i'm in a loop with the errormessage from KPackagekit
"The following packages block the installation: amarok", although the uninstalling was -as far as i saw- successfull; the amarok startbutton is greyed out
Now that i have the backports activated i also has to choose the updates like listed below (* can't add Screeshots) even though i've had my Lucid Lynx system at the most actual version, so: is my system still stable, if i decide to update all this stuff?

P.S.: i just understood the meaning of pinning, so should i build a new amarok from source?
P.S.2: I accidently tried an "apt-get install --reinstall amarok" and now my complete system is damaged!
After one year i have to start Win-Vista to get into this forum ;-(
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
You can use the ppa-purge tool to completely erase a PPA from your system; it's in Lucid backports or download here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid-backports/ppa-purge
Use sudo ppa-purge ppa:sam-sentynel/amarok.

You're not really clear what else is wrong with your system. Can you give more details?

mue.de
Registered Member
OS
Hello,
meanwhile i saved my whole /home-Dir on an external usb-drive, i still can't boot my former Kubuntu GUI, i can only operate from the terminal.
Now i'm writing this after booting an Kubuntu 11.04 live-dvd an configuring the wlan.
As i wrote above,
mue.de wrote:I've tried to update adding the backport repository to my software resources, [...]. I will also have 22 actualisations that would be installed and 157 blocked actualisations: i won't take the risk of loosing a rather good runnnig system to get some advantages of Amarok.
I need Kubuntu -as it is- every day and had a lot of trouble getting it running (Suspend-Trouble, Akonadi, Nepomuk... crashs)
But thanks for your help, i'll try it soon on the other natty narwhal machine or after a full backup...

Now i have a broken system, the package-manager isn't usable any more after that action i described above:
mue.de wrote: [...]
P.S.2: I accidently tried an "apt-get install --reinstall amarok" and now my complete system is damaged!
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
If you think that it was a messed up install, you might want to try:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get install -f
in a console.

mue.de
Registered Member
OS
valoriez wrote:If you think that it was a messed up install, you might want to try:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get install -f
in a console.

thanks, but i've had already tried the commands you recommended:
i will try it once more and feed back the errormessage i'll get.
My first problem was, to establish an internet-connection by terminal:
solved.
After the sudo apt-get update i got an errormessage that the gpg-key for the virtualbox (formerly sun) doesn't match. I think, the entry in the /etc/apt/sources.list for the virtual box-repo is still for lucid lynx and the broken dist-upgrade left it unchanged.
I would like to post the errormessages i got while the apt-get was running, but i'm not allowed to upload a picture.

If i boot with a live-Stick (or dvd), i don't have my old environment in use (as 'muelux'), so the packagemanager would aim another system (/home, /usr, /etc... directory)
So, how can i get out of that mess?