This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Add support for spotify and grooveshark like Clementine

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Beurtbalkje
Registered Member
OS
Something that would improve the usability for me: expand the number of internet streaming services. Especially: spotify. I followed the discussions about spotify on amarok for a few years. I think the approach of clementine beta proves that it can be done and that there is user interest. Perhaps Amarok can port this in a way?
The advantages are to me being able to approach both my local music and my internet music the Amarok way. Meaning: being able to find lyrics, photo's and artist info.
I am using clementine 0.7.3-507-ga622cc7 right now (and listening to spotify).

What about it, folks?
ReedWood
Registered Member
OS
Idea #39558, - Spotify support, deals with the same thing.
Beurtbalkje
Registered Member
OS
Oké, I mark this "solved". In fact, I don't think it will happen. I'm a bit tired to hear on and on about lack of time to implement this. It's clear that there is a low priority for this feature and I moved on to other software.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You really don't have a lot of patience, don't you? We released Amarok 2.5 in December, shortly before Christmas and there has been no release since.

Adding support for Spotify is not as easy as it sounds, as Spotify is proprietary software so this has to be thought thoroughly. We might have a Google Summer of Code proposal implementing it, but again, this would be 3 months work for the student full time, so not something that can be solved as easily as you would wish.

Patience... :)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Spotify requires a freakbook, sorry a facebook account. No thanks.

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.