This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Fix playlists once and for all

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Martux
Registered Member
OS

Fix playlists once and for all

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:50 pm
Wow, usability...
Well, let me say this, I am a long time, heavy user of Amarok.
But, to say least, mainly because of the lack of mature enough alternatives.
Especially lately *it drives me nuts*.
Here is why. Everything related to good old playlists (m3u, xspf) seems just plain borke.
Example: If I click on "save playlist on disk", simply nothing happens. I even forgot how long that is, a year, one and a half?
Yeah well, no problem, would one think and just manually drop playlist files into
~/.kde4/share/apps/amarok/playlists/, right?
No! Playlists dropped there are either heavy borked (missing hundreds of files which show up in other players), malformatted (names just left blank) or shown twice, thrice :( So effectively, Amarok is now in 2.4.90 *still* missing a sane way of handling *my users* playlists. I don't want to save it to the friggin' collection. It get's borked every other update, mysql, kde or amarok. So, no. I want to save playlist files. And use them!
For every issue I explained here I opened a bug or a thread in this forum. Answers go from plain ignorance of the problem, to "you are not supposed to use playlists that way" (o-tone developer) to no answers at all.
I perfectly understand that a) there are too few developers, b) it is more fun and better for marketing to add new features (I won't use anyways), but hey c) me as a user has despite all the good will *a lot* of problems maintaining MY collection without some nifty update borking everything and I need my peace. I just want to use this. Please fix it. You maybe note the tone of frustration? It is because I am constantly afraid, that my years-long-maintained playlists "forget" the last 100 tracks I added or gets broken otherwise. Please, please fix!
Puh, I didn't want this to be a rant and I don't mean to be disrespectful, but this is my most serious usability issue with Amarok ever since you introduced the 2.x series. w00t!
Stecchino
KDE Developer

Re: Fix playlists once and for all

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:49 pm
Unfortunatly you are experiencing a pretty unique bug that has not been reproduced nor confirmed by someone else. As such *you* are the only one that can help me fix it. Ranting won't help unfortunately, well formulated bug reports will.
That said, I'm committed to fixing this for you in the next release as the first thing on my todo list.
Martux
Registered Member
OS

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:56 pm
well... :'( :<
If there is anything that you need to know, I would be more than glad to help. I am no dev but a computer-literate user. Wow, this is bugging me for so long, really dunno what to say, except: thanks, man! Seriously, I will donate to the project if this is solved. BTW, wasn't 2.5 final scheduled for 7.12 or something? Just curious (because 2.4.90 fixes another bug in APGs)...
Martux
Registered Member
OS

Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:52 am
Let me summarize all of my issues briefly. If I should file any bugs on this/update existing bug reports, please let me know. I love Amarok and am more than willing to submit information.
-"save playlist on disc" in the status panel does nothing. At least for a year now. "on database" works. (save to disc was a good way to generate clean new playlists which are displayed properly)
-playlists dropped into ~/.kde4/share/apps/amarok/playlists seem to be messed up:
either they are shown twice or the filename is not displayed at all.
D&d into the playlist window also is messed up:
There are files missing which are shown in other players. E.g: open playlist (xspf) with amarok- 1300 songs shown. With clementine-1600 songs... these are not duplicate files!

So, we need a way to handle users playlist. Import or something, or just any directory monitored for content. Or just drag and drop in the context-panel?
I like the new option in 2.5 - create new empty playlist. Would be nice if you could split this further like "create in db or disk?"

I tried everything to avoid/fix the above mentioned behaviour: "fresh" install of amarok with no db scanning or with. Directory with playlists in the collection or not.
If it is in the collection, empty-named playlist entries are shown even 3 times...

These are my "most hated" concerns, if there is more, I will let you know. Happy holidays everyone!