This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Add "Also close Amarok in System Tray"option to close dialog

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
richardeigenmann
Registered Member
OS
I was wondering if an additional button could be added to the OK button on the Amarok close pop up window? It's all very well to inform the user that Amarok will continue running in the system tray but if the user wanted to stop the music he has another set of clicks to perform. It would be more helpful for the user to just click on a button to shut that down too.

The additional button could be called something like "Shutdown Amarok" with the "OK" button being the default choice.
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
Amarok -> Quit, Ctrl+Q, right click on tray icon -> Quit, and disabling the tray icon in settings and using the x button will all quit Amarok immediately. Adding multiple options to the reminder window when you use the x button with the tray icon enabled would probably be confusing.

richardeigenmann
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for your reply. Perhaps in my use case I might be better served by not having the system tray option ticked. This is, however, the "out of the box" user experience and I do actually like it.

I think my underlying question is what should happen when the user closes the GUI? With the system tray option ticked the implemented assumption clearly is that he wants the music to continue. The dialog must have been added to help those that wanted to end the music understand why it's not stopping and tell them what to do. Well, if the app already "knows" that the user might be desiring something other than the default behavior, why not make it easy and offer the other choice directly?
ilimas
Registered Member
Hello. I also wished to close Amarok with one click just like any other program, instead it keeps playing from background. Before changing to a diferent music player program than Amarok I unset the show icon at sys-tray option. Now I prefer missing one icon at system tray than an annoying behavior of a closing window button at the window's title bar of Amarok.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
ilimas: please read the above, this is already explained.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...