This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

When are we likely to see something we can try out?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Kubuntiac
Registered Member
Hi there,

I'd love to give Gluon a try, even in a pre-pre-pre-almost-not-quite-pre-alpha state. Are there likely to be testing packages any time soon? Is there a roadmap?

Thanks!
nilsson
Registered Member
I'll see if I can get a package for kubuntu jaunty created by the weekend.
Until then, I suggest building from source
http://gluon.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.p ... stallation
dridk
OS
At the end of this week end, I will try to get a technical preview of gluon! And provide 1 games called block.
Kubuntiac
Registered Member
Awesome!

Looking forward to it. :)
dridk
OS
Kubuntiac
Registered Member
Oh, sweet Lordy yes!

Installing necessary libs and downloading now. :D
Kubuntiac
Registered Member
:|

Code: Select all
[ 28%] Building CXX object kgl/CMakeFiles/kgl.dir/kgl_automoc.cpp.o
In file included from /usr/include/eigen2/Eigen/Core:96,
                 from /usr/include/eigen2/Eigen/Geometry:4,
                 from /media/Seagate15tb/source/gluon/build/kgl/../../kgl/kglbaseitem.h:24,
                 from /media/Seagate15tb/source/gluon/build/kgl/../../kgl/kglitem.h:26,
                 from /media/Seagate15tb/source/gluon/build/kgl/../../kgl/kglcircleitem.h:25,
                 from /media/Seagate15tb/source/gluon/build/kgl/moc_kglcircleitem.cpp:10,
                 from /media/Seagate15tb/source/gluon/build/kgl/kgl_automoc.cpp:4:
/usr/include/eigen2/Eigen/src/Core/util/Memory.h: In function ‘void* Eigen::ei_aligned_malloc(size_t)’:
/usr/include/eigen2/Eigen/src/Core/util/Memory.h:81: warning: ignoring return value of ‘int posix_memalign(void**, size_t, size_t)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
In file included from /usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreapplication.h:46,
                 from /usr/include/qt4/QtCore/QCoreApplication:1,
                 from /media/Seagate15tb/source/gluon/build/kgl/../../kgl/kgldisplay.h:21,
                 from /media/Seagate15tb/source/gluon/build/kgl/moc_kgldisplay.cpp:10,
                 from /media/Seagate15tb/source/gluon/build/kgl/kgl_automoc.cpp:18:
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h: At global scope:
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:66: error: expected identifier before numeric constant
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:66: error: expected ‘}’ before numeric constant
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:66: error: expected unqualified-id before numeric constant
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:276: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘type’
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:277: error: declaration of ‘~QEvent’ as non-member
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:278: error: ‘Type’ does not name a type
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:279: error: non-member function ‘bool spontaneous()’ cannot have cv-qualifier
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h: In function ‘bool spontaneous()’:
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:279: error: ‘spont’ was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h: In function ‘void setAccepted(bool)’:
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:281: error: ‘m_accept’ was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:282: error: non-member function ‘bool isAccepted()’ cannot have cv-qualifier
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h: In function ‘bool isAccepted()’:
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:282: error: ‘m_accept’ was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h: In function ‘void accept()’:
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:284: error: ‘m_accept’ was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h: In function ‘void ignore()’:
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:285: error: ‘m_accept’ was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:289: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘protected’
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:293: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘private’
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:295: error: expected initializer before ‘:’ token
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:296: error: expected initializer before ‘:’ token
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:297: error: expected initializer before ‘:’ token
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:299: error: ‘friend’ used outside of class
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:300: error: ‘friend’ used outside of class
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:301: error: ‘friend’ used outside of class
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:302: error: ‘friend’ used outside of class
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:303: error: ‘friend’ used outside of class
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:304: error: ‘friend’ used outside of class
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:305: error: ‘friend’ used outside of class
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:306: error: ‘friend’ used outside of class
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qcoreevent.h:307: error: expected declaration before ‘}’ token
make[2]: *** [kgl/CMakeFiles/kgl.dir/kgl_automoc.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [kgl/CMakeFiles/kgl.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Kubuntu Jaunty AMD64 KDE 4.3.1
Jucato
Registered Member
OS
I can confirm this build error on both Source Mage and Arch Linux.

Jucato, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Jucato
Registered Member
OS
OK it has been fixed. Kindly git pull and retry. Happy building. :)

EDIT: When running blocks (the sample game), you have the load a level map to start a game. The level maps are not installed, so you have to go to the block/level/ directory and load from there.

Jucato, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Kubuntiac
Registered Member
Cool. So Gluon built fine. I now have a shiny, nice spinning Gluon logo in my System Settings (after restarting KDE). All looking very nice!

Now I'm just trying to figure out to get the Blocks demo game. At a wild guess I'm presuming:

Code: Select all
cd gluon
git clone git://gitorious.org/gluon/block.git
cmake .
make
sudo make install

? ? ? Are there any cmake variables? I presume they're different from Gluon as they're not libraries. Does this mean the path can be wherever you want?

I don't really have much experience with compiling, or any with git... :|

EDIT: Wow. I tried my own guess and it seemed to work (with a couple of edits above). Only trouble is I chose full screen and that seemed to take away the menu, so now I can't restart it! Anyone know where the preferences are saved so I can reset them?
dridk
OS
to compile blok, it's same that gluon.

git clone...
cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/
make
sudo make install
Kubuntiac
Registered Member
Ah, thanks!

From my first look at it, it looks great. Physics interaction (which was even good when I created overlapping block), smooth framerate, mouse control, music. Pretty impressive for this early on, especially considering you built from the libraries up.

Looking forward to playing with this more. I'm hoping I can get a video screen capture with sound for youtube. If not, I guess it's easy enough to overlay the ogg (audio) over the video before uploading...

Anyway, thanks for your work on this dridk, lenir et al. This is going to be a fun way to shake up the open source scene. Happy you're making it happen!
ahiemstra
OS
Kubuntiac wrote:EDIT: Wow. I tried my own guess and it seemed to work (with a couple of edits above). Only trouble is I chose full screen and that seemed to take away the menu, so now I can't restart it! Anyone know where the preferences are saved so I can reset them?

The fullscreen mode-switching is a work-in-progress. Currently there are a few bugs, although the hiding of the menu is intentional. You can use ctrl+shift+f shortcut key to exit fullscreen mode. I now noticed that quitting Block in fullscreen mode by using alt+f4 does not restore the screen and other items correctly, which is a bad bug that needs to be fixed. Cheers for letting me know.

The settings are stored in ~/.kde/share/config/blokrc , you can remove that file to reset it.
Kubuntiac
Registered Member
Thanks! Hey I haven't even managed to really play the game yet and I'm already reporting bugs without even knowing it. Awesome. ;)

Hey, is this at the stage where you want bug reports yet, or is that a ways off yet?
dridk
OS
Today I started Ogre implementation in Gluon.