This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Jonathan Riddell

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pfee
Registered Member
OS

Re: Jonathan Riddell

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:08 pm
Will the network manager plasmoid be stable/ready for Ubuntu 9.10?

I still need to use KDE3 kvpnc to connect to a Cisco VPN. It'll be nice when the nm plasmoid can take on this role.
vivek.ap
Registered Member
OS

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:33 pm
I appreciate all the work you put into Kubuntu.

Regardless of all the positives, one recurring experience I've had with Kubuntu over the past two years is "broken" programs upon upgrading. The NetworkManager plasmoid is a good example - it was defective upon arrival. Another flawed program is KPackageKit - I'm never sure it will successfully upgrade packages because it reports errors every time I run it. Another problem I've had is that "Help > Report Bugs" does nothing, and I've been informed this is a Kubuntu issue. I've also had problems in the past with Amarok, Kaffeine, and other programs which are not Kubuntu's responsibility. Unfortunately, I sometimes felt that something that worked (if clunkily) was unnecessarily replaced with something that didn't work.

My question is: Can the users of Kubuntu expect a commitment from you that Kubuntu will not ship with packages/programs that are broken/severely flawed/very far from complete upon arrival?
gp[]
Registered Member

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:52 pm
why Kubuntu not has a real Artwork Team (community and none)? Compare this with Ubuntu artwork, Kubuntu feels like an academic project vs. Ubuntu’s polished feel.
gp[]
Registered Member

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:52 pm
Why Kubuntu not has a brand in the desktop?
gp[]
Registered Member

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:53 pm
Why Kubuntu not has a wallpaper?
Sure, you can customize it to your liking, but the out-of-the-box experience is essential. I repeat, Kubuntu feels like an academic project vs. Ubuntu’s polished feel.
gp[]
Registered Member

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:54 pm
Why Kubuntu not has a new installing system as Ubuntu? http://www.tuxjournal.net/?p=9406
gp[]
Registered Member

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:55 pm
Why in Kubuntu more packages (i.e.: inkscape, gimp, ...) have unnecessary Gnome dependencies (ie: policykit-gnome, etc..) ?
Kubuntiac
Registered Member

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:28 am
What do you feel would need to happen to eventually have Koffice / a KDE browser replace their Gnome counterparts on Kubuntu? What do you feel the chances of this are?
Kubuntiac
Registered Member

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:14 am
Do you feel KDE on Windows has brought / will bring more developers to free software?
DaveQB
Registered Member
OS

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:29 am
Most Linux users want to see the uptake of Linux increase.
To help new users, a centralised control centre is needed, I feel.
SuSe has one with YaST and Mandriva has a beautiful one in their MCC.

Will Kubuntu ever have anything as good as the aforementioned GUI Admin Tools, maybe by porting YaST or MCC to Kubuntu??

Thanks
DaveQB
Registered Member
OS

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:33 am
How do you think the FOSS community can help foster new users development as OS users by breaking down the barriers of terminology, concepts etc that we already accustom to take for granted?
Hans
Administrator
OS

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:56 pm
If there was one thing you could change in Kubuntu (new feature, bugfix, artwork etc.), what would that be?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
notme
Registered Member
OS

Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:54 am
I got two questions:

1) Did you ever try, just for the sake of testing, if a kubuntu machine keeps running and for how long, after you sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda?

2) If you were to marry a woman, and you discovered she loved coding gtk, what would you do about? ;)

Last edited by sayakb on Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Voting locked for question till post is modified as per the 'one question per post' rule.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:13 am
@notme: Please split your questions, in accordance with the "one question per post" rule.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
KeithZG
Registered Member

Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:59 am
Kubuntiac wrote:What do you feel would need to happen to eventually have Koffice / a KDE browser replace their Gnome counterparts on Kubuntu? What do you feel the chances of this are?

I think Konqueror is the default in Kubuntu these days anyways, no? I swear it is. It definitely was back in the 3.5.x days and I'm pretty sure it was for Jaunty...although actually, thinking about it, I've run 4.3 on all my installs of Jaunty so maybe those packages did it differently. All I know is that I'm a Konqueror partisan; I'm writing this from Konqueror right now, and I'm not even in KDE at the moment (LXDE on an ancient Core Solo laptop).

Oh, but I should ask a question. So, where would you like Kubuntu to get to by the time the next LTS rolls around?