This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Krita and hardware

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lumiwa
Registered Member
OS

Krita and hardware

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:12 pm
Hi!

I have an old computer which works still good for me and GIMP works fast and without problems with my Radeon 9000 gr. card :).What kind of settings are recommended for Krita that will be useful for my Radeon, please?

Thank you.
Aman Shah
Registered Member
OS

Re: Krita and hardware

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:46 am
From my experience over my old computers:
(No doubt that Krita is one of the finest and one of the best drawing tools.)
GIMP is really very very quick, 3 to 4 times faster than Krita,on Windows Platform and Krita is bit slower.

On my old (Low basic Configuration) computers,Krita stucks really badly and it shuts down for a big file.

However,in order to ensure that Krita does not stuck badly,and work very fast,
I recomend 3.6 GHZ (after Turbo) Intel Core i7 with 8 or preferably 16 GB Basic Memory and 500 GB memory in total(Harddisk and Solidstate drive (SSD) ).

Which convertible tablet or computer,do you own? And what is the configuration?
slangkamp
KDE Developer

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:33 am
Krita doesn't depend on the graphics card, it's CPU bound. At least on Linux the speed difference between Krita and GImp isn't that big, for painting Krita is faster while some filters are faster in Gimp. On Windows it's slower, so I would recommend Linux.

You don't need the specs above, but for reasonable image sizes you will need a gigabyte of RAM, better two.
lumiwa
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:23 am
slangkamp wrote:Krita doesn't depend on the graphics card, it's CPU bound. At least on Linux the speed difference between Krita and GImp isn't that big, for painting Krita is faster while some filters are faster in Gimp. On Windows it's slower, so I would recommend Linux.

You don't need the specs above, but for reasonable image sizes you will need a gigabyte of RAM, better two.

I have 2 GB of RAM, but the problem is
Machine class: i386
CPU Model: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz

As I wrote GIMP doesn't have problem but Krita has. And I am using FreeBSD.
Also Inkscape, Hugin, Darktroom, Luminance work good.
slangkamp
KDE Developer

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:58 am
Which version of Krita are you using and what is slow?
valerievk
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:02 pm
Pff, I'm using a dual-core. It was slow as heck (then again it was slow even running Firefox) when it only had 1GB RAM, then I got fed-up and plugged an extra 2GB RAM into it. Everything's been pretty good since. Well, save for the occasional Ubuntu updates messing up my system.

It all depends on what you want to do with Krita, really. If you're a professional who needs to work with Huge files, then you probably do need faster systems. If you're like me and you're just a hobbyist, you only need a few dozen layers, and the work dimensions you need are only about 4 times the size of the final image you upload to some gallery, then Krita runs quite decently now. This wasn't always the case. I remember when I first came across Krita years ago, and it was so slow back then. The developers really have done a lot of work since to make it run faster.
Aman Shah
Registered Member
OS

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:34 am
It all depends on what you want to do with Krita, really. If you're a professional who needs to work with Huge files, then you probably do need faster systems. If you're like me and you're just a hobbyist, you only need a few dozen layers, and the work dimensions you need are only about 4 times the size of the final image you upload to some gallery, then Krita runs quite decently now.

I use a big size of around 24000 * 17000 pixels to draw all car profiles on one canvas and the no. of layers are atleast 4 or 5 + 2 or 3 + 2 or 3 (3 sets of layers,one for each car profiles).

The speed and stucking problem which I am facing may not be present with my new configuration in my new PC I ordered.
My dad's old PC on which I tried krita and other softwares is core i3/5 2 Ghz with 4 GB of basic memory.

On my old system I cannot open any size exceeding 7000 * 7000 pixels in Krita.(Offcoarse 7000 * 7000 is decent size for many applications but not for my application)

Whereas GIMP,Photoshop,Corel Photopaint can open such a big file I desire in less than half a minute,without stucking or shutting down.

(I won't be using this old system anymore for sketching,once I recieve my order.The new ordered PC is stuck in customs & import duty in Bangalore International Airport.)