This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Any way to assign a new ICC profile to an image?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Elle Stone
Registered Member
OS
Sometimes when I open an image, I want to assign a new ICC profile, either because the image doesn't have any embedded ICC profile, or because it has the wrong embedded ICC profile. Most image editing programs provide a gui option to assign a new ICC profile (eg Cinepaint, Gimp, Photoshop). But I can't find this option anywhere in the Krita gui. Am I not looking in the right place? Or does this option not exist? If it matters, I'm using a recent version of krita from git on Gentoo Linux.

Elle Stone
Animtim
Registered Member
OS
AFAIK, the only icc-profile setting available to change profile of a file is in the menu Image -> Convert image color space.
I'm wondering if changing the profile there using the "absolute colorimetric" method would do what you want (I never was in this case, and don't have bad files with wrong profile or not-sRGB image with no profile to test it).

Last edited by Animtim on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elle Stone
Registered Member
OS
Converting from one ICC profile to another is not the same as assigning a new ICC profile. The conversion intent used for the conversion doesn't change the fact that converting is not the same as assigning.

Certainly human error is one way that images can end up with the wrong embedded ICC profile, or no embedded ICC profile.

In my own particular "use case", when I render a raw file I usually output it as "raw color", which means it doesn't have an embedded ICC profile until I assign one. Some rather rude raw processing softwares doesn't really allow outputting raw color, or only partially supports outputting raw color. A work-around is to assign linear gamma sRGB as the input, output, and working space profile if the program insists on pushing the image through a working space. This works because converting an image from sRGB to sRGB is a null transaction.

The resulting image has the sRGB color space profile embedded, but it's not an sRGB image. Hence the need to assign the appropriate camera profile before converting to a regular RGB working space.

Also, exr files don't have embedded ICC profiles but often they are not meant to be interpreted as having sRGB chromaticities. Sometimes these files have embedded chromaticity/white point information, from which an "on the fly" ICC profile can be constructed. I don't think Krita supports reading the embedded chromaticity information. But even if it does, not all exr files that aren't really linear sRGB actually have the appropriate chromaticities information embedded. So the ability to assign the right ICC profile to an exr file would be very useful.

Elle
Animtim
Registered Member
OS
Ok now that I know better your usecase, I can see how it could be useful.
Please post a feature request on the bugtracker ;)
Elle Stone
Registered Member
OS
I submitted a feature request: Bug 322444 - There should be a way to assign a new ICC profile to an image.