This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Krita and integrated graphics

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
franciscoo
Registered Member

Krita and integrated graphics

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:54 pm
Hello, I would like to know if someone uses Krita with an intel i7 processor, without dedicated gpu, only with integrated graphics, and if it works well. I want to buy a new PC and I do not know if a dedicated GPU is absolutely necessary to work with Krita, and I do not have a budget. Thank you!
slangkamp
KDE Developer

Re: Krita and integrated graphics

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:08 pm
I use it with an i5 with Intel HD Graphics 4400 and that works well.

There can be problems with some Intel cards/drivers on Windows, where the application shows a black screen (mostly HD3000): https://docs.krita.org/KritaFAQ#Krita_s ... _Intel_GPU
Inkus
Registered Member

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:36 pm
I am using i7 with Intel HD Graphics 5500 and it works ok. Dedicated GPU is not necessary to work with Krita. But it really depends on what your documents are.
I am pretty sure dedicated GPU would allow more layers to be visible when drawing without lag, especially when mask and filter layers are used, so you would have to change your workflow a bit when working with a document with many many layers. But that is only my assumption...
Metallicow
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:51 am
I'm a volunteer at Computer Banc(non-profit refurbisher) and have installed it on some various older hardware without any hitch.
Note that the readers of these krita forums have pinpointed out most of the bad graphics culprits.
Most often times its the driver that is the problem with older hardware and one version may work while another doesn't, so sometimes you might need to try more than one.
If you are buying a new computer, you don't have really anything to worry about. Just make sure your drivers match what your buying and are properly installed/uninstalled.

Not sure if anyone has made a full list of the culprits on the forums, but it would be nice to have as a sticky help topic.