This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Onion Skin is NOT working!!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
vivinguyen
Registered Member

Onion Skin is NOT working!!

Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:34 am
Hello, my problem that i would like to address is that my onion skin is not working. i've done everything i can. krita automatically created a 2nd layer so i don't need to worry about that. i'm making sure to create a new frame each time i draw. i click on the light bulb. and it is still not working. but the weirdest part is that when i click on my second or third frame, the green that's supposed to be for the onion skins is the background color. and i can assure you now that i did not do anything to affect the background.
TheraHedwig
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Onion Skin is NOT working!!

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:21 am
that sounds like the first frame is fully filled with white, and the onion skin is showing that.
ahabgreybeard
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:20 pm
In the past few days, I've replied to three posts about onion skins not working but nobody has yet replied to say if they got them working to their satisfaction.

It's a simple fact that the krita onion skins do work and they work well. Assuming that the onions skins have been set up properly and the lightbulb turned on and that each frame has different content, then the suggestion from TheraHedwig seems likely.

Here's one I made earlier:

Can you try again with a simple moving 'blob' and delete the white Layer 1 before you start, just to make sure you have only a single transparent layer to work with?
tmartinek
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:13 pm
I'm also having trouble with onion skins not showing up.
Here's a screen shot showing that I have several frames with different blobs drawn, onion skin is active and the onion skin checkbox is on.
Still not seeing anything.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/18412209@ ... res/0820Yg

Krita ver 4.1
Mac OS High Sierra (10.13.5)
late 2012 27" iMac
3.4 Ghz Intel i7
24 GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB
ahabgreybeard
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:17 pm
Flickr told me that your picture had adult content and I needed to sign in to see it. However, I manged to download it from the first page and it is indeed a perfectly innocent krita screenshot :)

To avoid complication with tracking down the cause of this problem, can you create a new file and have just one layer in which you create a short animation of a moving blob and see how that goes?

Note that I'm using the krita 4.1.0 Linux appimage and that is just one factor which may (or may not) be influencing this.
tmartinek
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:40 pm
Not sure why Flickr would say that...

Anyway, the scene I had started with was the default template for animation, but I made a new one and cleared everything out except a single layer for animation. Still getting the same results (i.e. no onion skins with the it set up the same way as shown in the screen capture.)
Should I post the file somewhere?
tmartinek
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:35 am
Ok, not sure what's going on but when I quit and reload the file, the onion skin shows up.
I'll see if I can recreate the bug
ahabgreybeard
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:09 am
If you could give a download link to the 'simple' faulty file, when you have a stable bug, that would be useful and also, if you can, that first one with lots of layers in it.
tmartinek
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:19 pm
If I can get the bug to repeat, I'll be sure to post a file.
brianst
Registered Member

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:49 pm
Just wanted to chime in that I just had the same issue, but it was fixed by restarting the program.

It was the first time I had opened Krita, and also the first time I had used Onion Skinning. When I create a new file now it works properly. I will update if it breaks again.

Krita ver 4.1.7
macOS High Sierra
- Version 10.13.4 (17E199)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
cmclemore
Registered Member

I'm having a similar issue

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:34 am
I feel like a have tired everything I've even redownloaded krita but onion skins will NOT show up the light bulb is on the new frame is created in the timeline every time I got to the next Frame and press delete to delete the drawing it whites it out like its supposed but suddenly onion skins no longer work???? (jk I fixed it the keyboard hot keys were set wrong)
lylia
Registered Member

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:41 pm
Chiming in to say that I was experiencing the same problem, but I noticed that it's not a problem with the onion skin functionality, but the delete hotkey filling the layer with white.

I created a new keyframe and made a mark on a transparent layer. Since the auto frame mode is on, I pressed the right arrow key to go to a new frame and then hit "delete" hoping to erase the mark from the previous frame. However, instead of making the current layer transparent, it makes it solid white. The result is that it looks like the previous frame has been erased but the onion skin does not show up; in reality I think the onion skin is there, but masked by the solid white.

I think this is because the delete hotkey on Mac is by default assigned to the command "fill with background color", which probably corresponds to the backspace key on Windows. Since there is only one delete key on Mac, you'll want to go to Krita > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > Menu > Edit > Clear and change the Clear hotkey to the Mac delete.

Hope that helps!
halla
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:53 pm
Lylia is absolutely correct. This link might also be handy: https://www.deviantart.com/tiarevlyn/ar ... -788623742
jwebbersalmon
Registered Member

Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:11 am
This worked for me; deleting the first white layer on the first frame. Thank you :)

ahabgreybeard wrote:In the past few days, I've replied to three posts about onion skins not working but nobody has yet replied to say if they got them working to their satisfaction.

It's a simple fact that the krita onion skins do work and they work well. Assuming that the onions skins have been set up properly and the lightbulb turned on and that each frame has different content, then the suggestion from TheraHedwig seems likely.

Here's one I made earlier:

Can you try again with a simple moving 'blob' and delete the white Layer 1 before you start, just to make sure you have only a single transparent layer to work with?
tuffcatisroyalty
Registered Member

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:23 pm
I am having the same problem as the original person who posted. I have tried making new frames, restarting krita, deleting layers, adding layers, activating different settings, and changing settings in onion skin. None of this has ever worked. I am on windows 10(also how do i find the krita version?). Could someone please help?