This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Clipping canvas items to canvas boundary

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
stin
Registered Member
Hi,

I am using Krita 4.2.9

Not sure how to describe this... On Photoshop, I used to use the edges of the canvas (which would clip any elements to this boundary) for aligning and squaring-up images I had taken (for example a paper form) and anything outside the boundary of the canvas would be clipped by the canvas' area. This helped me find the edges and get them all straight by not displaying anything outside the canvas area.

In Krita, however, all elements are fully visible even when some parts or entire elements overshoot the boundaries of the canvas, without any indication of where the canvas boundary actually is. This also happens when resizing items. It is impossible to tell how much one has overshot the canvas and the saved image will differ from the Krita view.

Is there an option to clip objects which are moved outside of the canvas area?

Many thanks for you help with this.

PS: Just found the 'About Krita' window is resizeable but the contents aren't. Maybe remove the resizeable flag from the window definition (or however it is done lol.)

Best regards,

James
ahabgreybeard
Registered Member
OS
When you say, "On Photoshop, I used to use the edges of the canvas (which would clip any elements to this boundary)...", do you mean that anything moved beyond the edge of the canavs was deleted or do you mean that movement was limited so as to prevent content going beyond the edge of the canvas?

Also, regarding, "In Krita, however, all elements are fully visible even when some parts or entire elements overshoot the boundaries of the canvas, without any indication of where the canvas boundary actually is."
You can see the canvas boundary because the canvas is on the mid-grey workspace. If your image happens to contain content that is the same colour grey as the workspace then you can change the colour of the workspace.

Then, "This also happens when resizing items. It is impossible to tell how much one has overshot the canvas and the saved image will differ from the Krita view."
When you're resizing content, you can see the content going beyond the canvas boundary and when it's gone there you can bring it back again with a Move or Transform of some kind. I don't understand how the saved image can differ from the 'krita view'. What you save is what it is and what you get when you open the file again.

For the two paragraphs above, I'm assuming that you haven't zoomed in so far that you can't see the canvas edges against the grey workspace.

If by, "Is there an option to clip objects which are moved outside of the canvas area?", you mean delete content that is off-canvas, then you can do Image -> Trim to Image Size which will delete all off-canvas content on all layers.

It would be very useful if you could provide links to screenshots that illustrate the problems you're having.
stin
Registered Member
I am terribly sorry for the poor description of my problem. I must have been half asleep when I wrote it.

I was also half asleep while trying to work on correcting the perspective of a photograph.

Everything is fine, I've modified how I'm doing things, now. I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Thank you for the reply.