This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Brush presets deleted

Tags: help help help
(comma "," separated)
julie
Registered Member

Brush presets deleted

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:40 pm
I open Krita one day and suddenly, most of my brushes are deleted. I followed the instructions and deleted the backup files, but that didn't work. I tried going to the .blacklist files but I tried opening it and it made me choose an application to open it with. I used Text Edit (I use a mac) and it just showed random code instead of the list of deleted brushes. I also tried to reset configurations but that didn't work either. All the brush bundles are active and I'm not sure what else to do.
tymond
KDE Developer

Re: Brush presets deleted

Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:05 am
> I followed the instructions and deleted the backup files, but that didn't work.

Have you backed up your resource folder first? Can you make a screenshot of the resource folder and then what is inside the "brushes" folder and inside the "paintoppresets" folder?

Also can you please let me know where you've got the information to delete the backup files? I'm not sure if this is a proper thing to do, I'd like to check it and confirm with others, and maybe fix if needed.
julie
Registered Member

Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:50 pm
Have you backed up your resource folder first? Can you make a screenshot of the resource folder and then what is inside the "brushes" folder and inside the "paintoppresets" folder?

I'm not sure what you mean by backing them up or how to do that. The only thing in the paintoppresets folder is a fineliner brush and the brushes folder is empty.

[img]Screen%20Shot%202020-12-29%20at%2011.37.35%20AM[/img]
[img]Screen%20Shot%202020-12-29%20at%2011.38.00%20AM[/img]

Also can you please let me know where you've got the information to delete the backup files? I'm not sure if this is a proper thing to do, I'd like to check it and confirm with others, and maybe fix if needed.

Sorry, I misread something and thought that was the solution but it turned out to be a possible cause of the problem.
julie
Registered Member

Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:50 pm
Sorry I accidentally posted this

Last edited by julie on Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahabgreybeard
Registered Member
OS

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:37 am
@julie

Which version of krita are you using?

I can't see where you quoted yourself so I assume that you've already edited your post to remove it.

You've used the filenames of your screenshots in the inline image tags but this will not work because an internet webite address is needed for an inline (visible in your reply) image.
You need to upload it to an image hosting site, such as Imgur, and use the web address of that.
It may be simpler to just use a link to Imgur or any kind of image hosting or file sharing service.

For the brushes (brush presets) that are not there, is it the case that you can't see them in the Brush Presets docker anymore?
Are you sure that the tag filter box at the top of the Brush Presets docker is set to 'All'.

Are the missing brush presets the ones that come as standard, i.e. the default set of brush presets that are there when you first install krita?
Have you personally made any new brush presets that have gone missing?

You say that all the brush bundles are active. Is this as viewed in Settings -> Manage Resources in the left side 'Active' pane?
Have you imported any brush bundles or do you just have the standard default set of three bundles there?

Unless you've created a new brush preset or imported brush tips or bundles, the paintoppresets folder and the brushes folder and the bundles folder should be empty. All the default resources are stored in a separate location to make them difficult to accidentally delete.

To backup your resources folder you just copy it to a different location or name, such as krita-backup, or ideally a USB memory stick, so that you can restore it to its original contents at a later time in case the resources folder gets messed up or damaged in some way.
julie
Registered Member

Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:38 pm
@ahabgreybeard
Which version of krita are you using?

I'm not sure which one but I recently downloaded Krita and I'm pretty sure it was the version released around October (4.4.1)

I can't see where you quoted yourself so I assume that you've already edited your post to remove it.

Yeah I did but I don't know how to delete it.

You've used the filenames of your screenshots in the inline image tags but this will not work because an internet webite address is needed for an inline (visible in your reply) image.
You need to upload it to an image hosting site, such as Imgur, and use the web address of that.
It may be simpler to just use a link to Imgur or any kind of image hosting or file sharing service.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind next time.

For the brushes (brush presets) that are not there, is it the case that you can't see them in the Brush Presets docker anymore?
Are you sure that the tag filter box at the top of the Brush Presets docker is set to 'All'.

Not all of them are gone but all of them have an x on them except for the eraser and fineliner. It's set to "all" and there's no other tag.

Are the missing brush presets the ones that come as standard, i.e. the default set of brush presets that are there when you first install krita?
Have you personally made any new brush presets that have gone missing?

All of the brushes are the default ones.

You say that all the brush bundles are active. Is this as viewed in Settings -> Manage Resources in the left side 'Active' pane?
Have you imported any brush bundles or do you just have the standard default set of three bundles there?

All the bundles are active. I never imported any bundles but there are 3 bundles that are the Krita 3 default resources, two that are Krita 4 default resources, and a Krita SeExpr examples bundle.

Unless you've created a new brush preset or imported brush tips or bundles, the paintoppresets folder and the brushes folder and the bundles folder should be empty. All the default resources are stored in a separate location to make them difficult to accidentally delete.

I never created a brush preset or imported any but the paintoppresets has one fineliner brush and the bundles folder have all the bundles including the default ones and a couple more.

To backup your resources folder you just copy it to a different location or name, such as krita-backup, or ideally a USB memory stick, so that you can restore it to its original contents at a later time in case the resources folder gets messed up or damaged in some way.

I didn't have a backup but I just made one now.
julie
Registered Member

Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:41 pm

I just reset the configurations and now there's three bundles only. And now the paintoppresets and bundles folders are empty.
ahabgreybeard
Registered Member
OS

Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:10 am
You can't delete a post as a matter of principle because someone might reply to it before you decide to delete it.
Just edit it to say "Accidental post" or something.

I just reset the configurations and now there's three bundles only. And now the paintoppresets and bundles folders are empty.

That was going to be part of my next suggestion:
You've made a backup of the old/previous resources folder so delete the entire krita resources folder and also delete the kritarc config file then restart krita.
This will give you a fresh new start.
You'll have a bit of work to do in setting up your new setting/configuration such as the theme, cursor appearance, etc.

Also, you'll loose things like any patterns or palettes that you may have created or imported. i.e the personal stuff. You'll loose any custom/personal workspaces that you may have created.
If you haven't done any of that then you can just carry on with the newly created fresh resources folder.

If you did have any personal resources, they will be in the backup copy of the old resources folder, then you can manually copy them from the backup to the matching location in the new/current resources folder.

As for how/why this happened, I've no idea.
Did you try creating a new bundle or editing any of the existing default bundles? That would put bundle files in the bundles folder of the personal resources folder.
julie
Registered Member

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:24 pm
You've made a backup of the old/previous resources folder so delete the entire krita resources folder and also delete the kritarc config file then restart krita.

I tried that but it didn't work.

As for how/why this happened, I've no idea.
Did you try creating a new bundle or editing any of the existing default bundles? That would put bundle files in the bundles folder of the personal resources folder.

I never edited the bundles but I did look at them for the brush presets after the problem occurred to see if I could add them back. When I clicked "Brush Presets" I couldn't find any of the deleted ones. Is there a way to redownload the bundles?
ahabgreybeard
Registered Member
OS

Re: Brush presets deleted  Topic is solved

Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:13 pm
This is a strange and bad situation.
If you delete the config files and the krita resources folder and start krita, it's supposed to be just like a fresh installation and starting for the first time.

I'm going to suggest totally uninstalling, then doing anything you can to remove any trace of krita from your computer, such as deleting config files and the resources folder, then reinstalling.

Normally, there's no point in doing this because normally any problems are caused by something wrong in the configuration files or in the resources folder. In your case, this can't be it.

If that doesn't work then I have no idea and you'll need advice from an experienced Mac user or a developer.

Those three default bundles are not something that you download and import.
They are built into the application installation and should be there, active and working when you install and run.

All I can do now is wish you luck because I dont have any experience of krita on a Mac.
julie
Registered Member

Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:57 pm
All I can do now is wish you luck because I dont have any experience of krita on a Mac.

I downloaded and reinstalled it and my brushes are back! Thanks so much!