This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

how to make custom KDM4 & KDE4 Splash Screens

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
StarWolf61
Registered Member
OS
I may be boring some of you but here is a couple of how to guides I made for kdm 4 and kde 4 splash screens

http://webpages.charter.net/starbuck1/Linux/Kdm4a.html (how to make kdms kde4 only)

http://webpages.charter.net/starbuck1/L ... Guide.html (how to make you very own kde4 splash screens)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Thank you for posting this, I have moved this to Tutorial & Tips to increase it's visibility to others.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
StarWolf61
Registered Member
OS
;D thank you hope it helps a few people
suryaharissenoaji
Registered Member
OS
Thank you.. :) i'm very need this tutorial :))
johnb
Registered Member
Not boring at all, it's actually a good tutorial.
Perhaps you should group them in a single page, that yes.
axxo1
Registered Member
yes they should definitely be grouped together.
ooker
Registered Member
I have done what StarWolf tell me, but it doesn't work. The result is no preview available and the login splash screen is black.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I would recommend double checking what you've done - nothing has changed in the responsible code in question since that guide was written.

KDE Sysadmin
ooker
Registered Member
I tried to follow the guide again but it still failed. Does it need a specific image format?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Anything displayable by Qt should be fine - so if Gwenview can display it, it should work.
I would suggest using PNG format files.

KDE Sysadmin
ooker
Registered Member
Still not work. Do I have to add icon? I just want to have a plain picture, in one resolution.
One more thing, when I click on Save .gz, nothing happens. I can't find the location it saves. Not in Home or my directory of the picture.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you try another KSplasherX theme to verify it isn't your KSplasherX installation?

KDE Sysadmin
ooker
Registered Member
Do you mean that I should reinstall it or find another themes which made from KSplashX to test?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You should find another KSplasherX theme in order to test it with. Please note that KSplashX is actually shipped with KDE - this guide relies on a separate, third party addon called KSplasherX however.

KDE Sysadmin
ooker
Registered Member
Is there any help or tutorial to use KSplashX? I have googled around but only find bugs or questions. The only helpful document is this: https://gitorious.org/dbusmenu/kdebase-workspace/source/28fcbe5e2a707dab4b67daf95bbab89bb4377b6f:ksplash/ksplashx/README, but it not show me clearly how to make one. I try make a description.txt file contains SCALE OFF next to the picture and use ksplashx path/to/picture.png but it still require that txt.