This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Tiling for lazy bums and keyboard haters.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dzon
Registered Member
I'm one of those guys who hates tapping keyboard. It's one of the reasons I made a bunch of scripts, desktop files, service menus, mouse bindings...etc. To avoid the piano..as much as possible. I also switch to a tile layout from time to time. So, I needed some lazy, non keyboard stuff to facilitate the use of that. Now, I used Krohnkite before and switched to bismuth recently, but the principle remains the same.

1) A toggle tile script:
I want something to easily switch between normal and tiled layout. The best way to do that is use this simple script and put it somewhere. It'll be needed to create a desktop file and a dolphin service menu.

#!/bin/bash
current=`kreadconfig5 --file kwinrc --group Plugins --key bismuthEnabled`

if [ $current = "true" ]; then
kwriteconfig5 --file kwinrc --group Plugins --key bismuthEnabled false
elif [ $current = "false" ]; then
kwriteconfig5 --file kwinrc --group Plugins --key bismuthEnabled true
fi

qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin reconfigure

2) If you want a service menu in dolphin https://imgur.com/a/9hYBTK9, you'll need something like this in ~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus and make it point to that executable script. Now, this example is only to toggle tiling in Dolphin. If you want more functions, you'll need to create a submenu. You get the point.

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Service
Icon=align-vertical-top
X-KDE-ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin
MimeType=all/all;
Actions=ToggleTiler
X-KDE-Priority=TopLevel
#X-KDE-Submenu=
Encoding=UTF-8

[Desktop Action ToggleTiler]
Name=ToggleTiler
Icon=align-vertical-top
Exec=/path/to/Script

3) Desktop files:
First of all, you'll need xdotool for this. So, install...xdotool. The goal is to create a bunch of desktop files which you can place pretty much anywhere. Panel, menu, desktop, separate panel...etc. Under system settings>shortcuts>kwin>bismuth, you first set your keybindings. The desktop files will, by using xdotool, emulate those keybindings. Desktop files need to be placed in ~/.local/share/applications. As an example, this is a desktop file to rotate the layout https://imgur.com/a/ZKMNDqx

[Desktop Entry]
Comment[nl_BE]=
Comment=
Exec=xdotool key super+r
GenericName[nl_BE]=cycle
GenericName=cycle
Icon=distribute-horizontal
MimeType=
Name[nl_BE]=Toggle Cycling
Name=Toggle Cycling
NoDisplay=false
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-DBUS-ServiceName=
X-DBUS-StartupType=
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

That's about it, tiling ideas for lazy bums like me. It's just some examples so you can play around to all of your likings. Ps: it does require some typing the script and desktop files at first. But that's just once..

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.