This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Best solution to use neon OS on two different computers

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
luca-n
Registered Member
OS
Hello every one,
i'm using neon OS from 1 year (about), and i'm happy of this OS, i like neon. I've installed it's on notebook MSI, I need it for work, so both at home and out and about.
I need it for work, so both at home and out and about. In this period, however, I'm thinking of buying a good desktop PC with which to work at home without losing the possibility of being able to work with the notebook when I'm out, albeit with less performance.
What solution could I adopt? Do I install neon on external nvme (usbc), or just home? I also tried virtualbox portable but I lose in performances.
Thanks a lot
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Do the same thing you have done on your laptop.

But you can:
    dual-boot on the internal drive
    Only run Linux on the internal drive (single-boot, wipe out Windows)
    Install to an external drive, as you mentioned.

Now, I am guessing you want to run the exact same OS install on both systems, maybe?
I don't know if this is worth it, really. I never liked it when I experimented with that.

Just install neon on both, set them up in a similar way (or not), and use both independently. Use that USB drive to save/back up your work files between both, or save to the cloud, etc.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
luca-n
Registered Member
OS
I'm not sure I understand. I'll tell you what I would like to do:
Yes, same system on both, then at the end of the day I spend my home PC and I would like to have everything on my notebook. For my work I edit many files so a manual sync would be madness, that's why I would like to use an external hd on USB. Or are you telling me that I can use a sync?
Thank you
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Sure, you can run any Linux OS from an external drive, but IMO the risk of OS damage or corruption can be a bit higher.

Why not keep the files on the fast NVME and USB-C, and save things there? No syncing.
There are all sorts of ways to sync files, or copy, etc.

You have a LOT of options to play with and try.
In any case, you can do things however you like :D There isn't really a wrong way or right way, it all depends on what you want and like.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
luca-n
Registered Member
OS
If I wanted to activate an automatic sync that I would start at the end of the day on the notebook to 'update' it, what would you suggest? Thus each tool its own system and when sync is started it takes all the updated files, both from the home directory and from the programs directory.
luca-n
Registered Member
OS
Hi claydoh, i known that not have a single solutions or better/wrong way, but if i put the entire OS on external usb it will damage certainly, if i use virtualbox portable i got less performances, so, Or i put the home on the external usb Or i use any sync software, you have someone to suggest me?
thanks
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
luca-n wrote:Hi claydoh, i known that not have a single solutions or better/wrong way, but if i put the entire OS on external usb it will damage certainly, if i use virtualbox portable i got less performances, so, Or i put the home on the external usb Or i use any sync software, you have someone to suggest me?
thanks

You don't need to keep your $HOME on the external drive, why not just the files?

I can't say what is best, since all have plusses and minuses.
if you have an NVME and a USB enclosure, this probably is the more robust and performant way to go for a portable OS, which seems to be what you really want.

For syncing, there are too many ways to do this, such as Syncthing, dropbox, etc. Plus countless ways from the command line with rsync and other tools.
Personally, I cheated. I took an old PC and converted it to a NAS, so all my files are stored there, synced using Nextcloud - that is simply the thing I am trying out right now. Syncthing may be a better choice to look at for this option.

I don't bother having completely identical OS configurations on multiple computers - my laptop and my PC are used very differently, and having the same setup on the dual-monitor PC as my 13" laptop would drive me nuts. But that is just me, of course ;D 8) :D

luca-n
Registered Member
OS
Thank you so much Claydoh!
I decided to buy a high performance pc-desktop, on which I install neon and work with it in my office (90% of my day). When I need to work from home, I take out nvme from my desktop and put it in usb-c adapter and connect it to my notebook (with neon), this way I can access my files on nvme :)
theodorelucas
Registered Member
I only purchased a Disney Hotstar membership for this show because the earlier story was so wonderful and engaging. Unfortunately, the show has since become dull.

I've given up watching it, Teri Meri Dooriyan