This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

how to integrate Firefox into KDE

Tags: firefox, file-picker, places firefox, file-picker, places firefox, file-picker, places
(comma "," separated)
zuargo
Registered Member
OS

Re: how to integrate Firefox into KDE

Tue May 24, 2011 12:26 am
Hello again

Yesterday I have found an app called Chakra Gtk Config (developed by Chakra Project team)

It is a KCM (I think it means KDE Configuration Manager), namely, it adds a module in KDE system settings where you can change the GTK theme.

Chakra Gtk Config in combination with Oxygen-GTK theme (part of KDE project) is a very good alternative to get a gtk-apps appearance according to KDE.

Archlinux users can find, in AUR, a PKGBUILD for Oxygen-GTK here and a PKGBUILD for Chakra Gtk Config here

Greetings
craigevil
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:34 pm
In Debian install :

gtk2-engines-oxygen - Oxygen widget theme for GTK+-based applications
kde-config-gtk-style - KDE configuration module for GTK+ 2.x style selection

Then in Iceweasel/Firefox install
Oxygen KDE (Firefox Theme) KDE-Look.org - http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/?content=117962

In about:config set ui.allow_platform_file_picker to false
brookshinton
Registered Member
I am now using Firefox 5 and wanted to install the KDE. Is the suggestion of Toaddd still applicable to the Firefox 6 if I wanted to change my current version?
I heard also about that Chakra Gtk Config, Zuargo but never tried it. Hope it could help to get gtk-apps appearance same to KDE.
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Yep, no reason why it shouldn't work. Put it that way, my FF hasn't changed since the original post (give or take a few add ons) - I've simply been updating it.

Debian testing
poomerang
Registered Member
OS

Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:20 pm
Has anybody been able to set fonts antialiasing in a decent way in Firefox?
I can't seem to get a good appearance as in rekonq or konqueror, especially for websites like Facebook or my e-mail
Normally a solution is to install MS fonts, but if it CAN work without that (and I don't see why it should not, if it does in other browsers), well why not?

I'll post a picture so that hopefully you can understand what I mean

I've tried different solutions found around in the internet, but this is the maximum I could get from firefox - and still KDE's browsers look much better with no tweaks!
Alexander_
Registered Member
OS
I am using KDE 4.6.5 on Debian Unstable. Unfortunately i have a problem with Firefox. It's not a big deal but it is annoying. I have installed oxygen-gtk and kde-config-gtk-style and set up the gtk applications to use the oxygen-gtk engine and for the most part they look OK. However Firefox is not completely OK - in Firefox the color of the main window is different (a little darker) than the titlebar, whereas in other gtk applications (like Inkscape) and in the KDE applications the color is the same. I have posted screenshots (of Firefox and Inkscape) so you can see the difference. I think that in the screenshot in the post above the same problem is visible.

I had Arch installed on my computer several months ago (with KDE 4.7.0) and i didn't have the problem there, Firefox looked just like Inkscape does on my screenshot.

Also if i install the Oxygen KDE theme for Firefox, the Find bar (when i press Ctrl+F) is not working properly - instead of the full search field where i can type what i want to look for there is just several pixels of space and i cannot type anything.
poomerang
Registered Member
OS
Alexander_ wrote:I am using KDE 4.6.5 on Debian Unstable. Unfortunately i have a problem with Firefox. It's not a big deal but it is annoying. I have installed oxygen-gtk and kde-config-gtk-style and set up the gtk applications to use the oxygen-gtk engine and for the most part they look OK. However Firefox is not completely OK - in Firefox the color of the main window is different (a little darker) than the titlebar, whereas in other gtk applications (like Inkscape) and in the KDE applications the color is the same. I have posted screenshots (of Firefox and Inkscape) so you can see the difference. I think that in the screenshot in the post above the same problem is visible.

I had Arch installed on my computer several months ago (with KDE 4.7.0) and i didn't have the problem there, Firefox looked just like Inkscape does on my screenshot.

Also if i install the Oxygen KDE theme for Firefox, the Find bar (when i press Ctrl+F) is not working properly - instead of the full search field where i can type what i want to look for there is just several pixels of space and i cannot type anything.

I'd suggest you to use Oxygen KDE add-on for Firefox (found here) which looks much better than bare oxygen-gtk and gives you a lot of customization options. That should solve your problems with the different colours. Also, you can set it up so that you don't have any title bar but still the windows buttons (as it works in the famous Redmond's OS).
No clues about the search bar problems though
Alexander_
Registered Member
OS

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:06 pm
Thanks for the reply, but installing this add-on does not change the situation. Also (as shown in the screenshot) with this add-on the search bar (activated by ctrl+x) does not work - instead of the normal search field i just get a tiny search field and i cannot type anything there.

poomerang
Registered Member
OS
...uhm, weird.
What I'd do is to try with a clean profile (you can start firefox/iceweasel from a terminal with the -ProfileManager option and create a new one then) and see if the problem is still there.
Also, is the problem with the search bar still present if you don't use oxygen-gtk?
Alexander_
Registered Member
OS
I created a new linux user just to make sure and still i have the same problem there. The problem with the search bar appears only if i use the Oxygen KDE theme.
poomerang
Registered Member
OS
Alexander_ wrote:I created a new linux user just to make sure and still i have the same problem there. The problem with the search bar appears only if i use the Oxygen KDE theme.

try using the latest oxygen-kde version if you're using an older one, or otherwise contact the developer directly, as it somehow appears to be a bug in oxygen-kde.

Anyways, I actually realised I have the "problem" with the colours too, I just never noticed as I followed the instructions on oxygen-kde's page to hide Firefox's title bar (so I never saw a title bar colour to compare with!). I guess it's not just your problem then but some mistake in how Firefox manages colours (as it happens independently if using Oxygen-KDE or Oxygen-gtk theme)..
DerekMessina
Registered Member
Nice! Thanks for the tip!
Gigadoc 2
Registered Member
OS
There is also a nice addon forcing Firefox to use KWallet: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Fi ... ent=116886
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Cheers gigadoc2 - just noticed that myself, will add to first post :)

Debian testing
Gigadoc 2
Registered Member
OS
Seems like you didn't copy the whole link ;)