This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

how to integrate Firefox into KDE

Tags: firefox, file-picker, places firefox, file-picker, places firefox, file-picker, places
(comma "," separated)
flying sheep
Registered Member
OS
you guys are aware that there is oxygen kde, which currently has a beta running that reads out your color settings in order to recreate the oxygen theme almost pixel perfect.

currently it works great on lighter color schemes, but the results on dark ones are promising, too. oxygen molecule is already no match for it.
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Nice one, thanks. I'll adjust the first post to include it.

Debian testing
flying sheep
Registered Member
OS
toad wrote:Nice one, thanks. I'll adjust the first post to include it.

now you link two times to the same theme.
the beta (the theme which is reading your settings) is only available through the kde-look.org link i posted.
the old version just adapts to one of the color schemes which come preinstalled.
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Ooops, thanks for pointing it out.

Debian testing
archtaku
Registered Member
OS
That Oxygen KDE Firefox theme is pretty cool, it helps a lot.

However, Firefox still has the same annoying tendency to not die when you close it, causing the annoying "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system." error. This happens almost every time.

So, Firefox remains mostly useless to me. Thank FSM for Chromium.
gnumdk
Registered Member
Dart WM
Registered Member
Hey gnumdk,

thanks for the link. I was exactly looking for that one. Cheers
2handband
Registered Member
OS
Okay, this thread is huge and impossible to wade through. Perhaps these solutions were posted earlier, but in order for Firefox to be reasonably usable in KDE two things have to happen:

The HORRIBLE file associations dialog has got to die and more to the point should be unnecessary; the apps I select in system settings > file associations should apply to Firefox as well.

The stupid downloads dialog that has to be manually closed should also rot in hell. Downloads and other such should show up in the system tray notifications.

Personally, I like Konqueror with Kwebkitpart. But my wife uses Firefox, and I'm also running a Slackware 13.0 machine with KDE 4.2.4 in which Kwebkitpart is not really an option (which makes Konqueror useless for web browsing). So if there are solutions to those two issues, please clue me in!

CraigPaleo
Registered Member
OS

Re: how to integrate Firefox into KDE

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:29 am
2handband wrote:Okay, this thread is huge and impossible to wade through. Perhaps these solutions were posted earlier, but in order for Firefox to be reasonably usable in KDE two things have to happen:

The HORRIBLE file associations dialog has got to die and more to the point should be unnecessary; the apps I select in system settings > file associations should apply to Firefox as well.

The stupid downloads dialog that has to be manually closed should also rot in hell. Downloads and other such should show up in the system tray notifications.

Personally, I like Konqueror with Kwebkitpart. But my wife uses Firefox, and I'm also running a Slackware 13.0 machine with KDE 4.2.4 in which Kwebkitpart is not really an option (which makes Konqueror useless for web browsing). So if there are solutions to those two issues, please clue me in!

Installing firefox-kde-support will do the trick. It's a helper application that allows Mozilla Firefox to use KDE file dialogs, file associations, protocol handlers and other KDE integration features.

mo.mashi
Registered Member
OS
You are a godsend my friend. kmozillahelper did the trick for me (open file in browser sends me straight to dolphin instead of gods know where...)
marcy
Registered Member
Will there a solution for the memory problem with firefox? Currently i have often (i guess as many users do) with memory peaks of >400MB.
julia543
Registered Member
I love firefox and I found this really useful.
yorgi
Registered Member
OS
dbys wrote:
gnumdk wrote:http://gitorious.org/oxygen-gtk/oxygen-gtk

Thanks for the link!

Here are some more info about integrating FF and KDE: http://www.mygnulinux.com/?p=11
Hope it will help
charlenizer
Registered Member
OS
sayakb wrote:Additionally, to fix buttons and checkboxes, install package gtk2-engines-qtcurve. Now open KMenu->System Settings->Appearance->GTK Styles and Fonts and set "Use another style" (under category GTK Styles) to QtCurve. Save it and restart Firefox.

I don't find it in Fedora 10.
davidstack
Registered Member
archtaku wrote:That Oxygen KDE Firefox theme is pretty cool, it helps a lot.

However, Firefox still has the same annoying tendency to not die when you close it, causing the annoying "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system." error. This happens almost every time.

So, Firefox remains mostly useless to me. Thank FSM for Chromium.

Agree! experienced it frequently.