This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

how to integrate Firefox into KDE

Tags: firefox, file-picker, places firefox, file-picker, places firefox, file-picker, places
(comma "," separated)
akira9999
Registered Member
toad wrote:Depending on your distro Firefox can look alright to downright ugly. Here a couple of tips so as to make it blend in more with KDE:

1. install your distro's gtk-qt-engine
note: depending on how far your distro is with kde4 integration this package may either be called gtk-qt-engine or gtk-qt-engine-kde4

2. change your Firefox theme
If you use the default KDE oxygen theme install the oxygen theme for Firefox from here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59338
A more recent alternative is the oxygen-kde theme here:
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Ox ... ent=117962

3. change the appearance of the file selector:
type "about:config" into Firefox's URL bar and type "platform" into the display filter below. Make sure that the value for
ui.allow_platform_file_picker

is set to false

4. Additionally, to fix buttons and checkboxes, install package gtk2-engines-qtcurve. Now open KMenu->System Settings->Appearance->GTK Styles and Fonts and set "Use another style" (under category GTK Styles) to QtCurve. Save it and restart Firefox (copied this straight from post #5 ;) - many thanks!)

5. For downloads - you may want to consider installing the flashgot add-on. It lets you use Kget as a download manager.

6. More and more distros have a package called kmozillahelper in their repos - it stems from suse and promises dolphin integration

7. There is also a nice addon forcing Firefox to use KWallet: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Fi ... ent=116886

Please post your (distro specific) experiences and any tips you may have. I will keep this how to updated to reflect any improvements.

Thanks "toad, I learn another new topics by your post. :)
geoaraujo
Registered Member
OS

Debian 8.6

KDE 4.14.2
Dell N4050 Intel i5 CPU 2.50GHz 64-bit Integrated Graphics 4GB ram
Acer A4540 AMD Athlon E X2 2.0GHz 64-bit ATI Radeon HD4200 Graphics 4GB ram

TDE R14.0.3
Acer AOD260 Intel Atom N450 1.66GHz 32-bit Integrated Graphics 2GB ram
Xplorer4x4
Registered Member
OS

I have tried using this firefox build with the helper, with and with out the oxygen kde theme, and still have text input box problems on many sites. For example here the text input box should be white I assume with black font, but it is black with a grey font. I can live with this but on google search results pages, the search box on the page is white and so is the font. On another site I use, there are some small search boxes on the page and they are proper white with black font, but the main search box on the page is black on black font. Then if I go over to the offical kubuntu forums, the text editor is a proper white background with black font. Oh and I have done pretty much everything in the OP. Does any one have any suggestions? I think the only thing I haven't changed is the ui.allow_platform_file_picker but that seems rather optional. My application appearance colors are set to Zion (Reversed) Scheme with Oxygen Style widgets. I tried Qtcurve for widget style but it made no difference other then making the style look ugly imo.

Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
MSI P67A-G45 Mobo
2x4GB Corsair Vengance RAM
Sapphire Raedon 4890HD Vapor-X GPU
1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD
1x80GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD
2x1TB Western Digital HDDs
2x2TB Wester Digital HDDS
Corsair HX520W PSU
Thermaltake Mozart TX Case
šumski
Registered Member
OS
Xplorer4x4
Registered Member
OS

Re: how to integrate Firefox into KDE

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:52 pm

I tried the first link and that seemed to help with the white on white text issue, but for example, the KDE Forums here, the text editor is still black with grey font, so I will update my post with the results of the second post shortly.

Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
MSI P67A-G45 Mobo
1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
Xplorer4x4
Registered Member
OS
Can any one mention how to implement that css code in to Stylish? I tried a simply copy and paste, and that didnt work. I also tried the include in user chrome path, or whatever the function is listed in the drop down box, but my chrome path is invalid. I assume this is because my profile was a direct import of a FEBE extension from windows? I may try to import my windows profile in to the "Default" profile here shortly.

Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
MSI P67A-G45 Mobo
1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
Xplorer4x4
Registered Member
OS
I looked in to FEBE and noticed it tries to carry over users chrome folders, so I made a new back up with out the chrome folder, and imported it in to the default profile. I then edited the userContent.css file as instructed in the link on ArchLinux wiki and it made no difference(but like I said the other links fixed the white on white method). I noticed that with all my extensions and such, something causes the firefox menu not to be present if I hide the menu bar, so I am thinking that an add on may be causing the problems. If I single it out I will contact the dev and post here.

Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
MSI P67A-G45 Mobo
1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
apache
Registered Member
OS
I use kde-gtk-config as described here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=102389
and GnomishGray theme, which is both for gtk 2 and gtk 3. I think while using kde-gtk-config it is important to have the same theme for gtk 2 and gtk 3. Most themes that are for gtk 3 are made from gtk 2 themes, so no problem to find one. Acctually I can't prove it but I had problem when themes were different. I don't know why.
When I intalled this theme I had only one problem with Firefox. Menu text when I clicked on menu item, for example bookmarks, was white instead of black. The solution is simple. In Firefox profile in .mozilla folder in
/home/user/.mozilla/firefox/gcrhc6xsd7.default/
I created chrome folder with text file named userChrome.css and content:

menu {
color: black ! important;
}
Your Firefox profile folder will be named a little different as it is random name auto-created when you start Firefox for the first time.
And now Firefox looks good. The same procedure was necessarry for Thunderbird.
You can download GnomishGray from
http://gnome-look.org/
or
from PPA repository for Ubuntu:
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/06/5-nice-g ... u-ppa.html
Xplorer4x4
Registered Member
OS
Apache, am I understanding you that gtk3+ themes from gnome-look should work with KDE? Makes since but just checking.

I guess I will look in to building gtk-kde-config as I have tried a million different combinations of firefox setting with and with out the KDE Oxygen theme and add on.

Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
MSI P67A-G45 Mobo
1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
Xplorer4x4
Registered Member
OS
Oh and here is a list of my firefox add on and themes(personas).

Adblock Plus 2.0.3
Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon 0.3
Add to Search Bar 2.0
AutoPager 0.7.1.4
badass green skull 1329029124 [DISABLED]
Context Search 0.4.6
Customizations for Adblock Plus 1.0
Dark Fox 1260925626
Default 13.0 [DISABLED]
Download Statusbar 0.9.10
DownloadHelper 4.9.9
Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus 1.2.2
English (GB) Language Pack 13.0
English (South Africa) Language Pack 13.0
Fast Dial 4.2.2
FEBE 7.0.3.2
Firebug 1.9.2 [DISABLED]
Flagfox 4.1.15
FlashGot 1.4.5
Global Menu Bar integration 3.2.3
Gmail Checker 2.6.1
Google Reader Watcher 1.7.3 [DISABLED]
Greasemonkey 0.9.20
Green Skulls on Black 1312817909 [DISABLED]
gTranslate 0.9
HTML5 Notifications 1.0.8
IcedTea-Web Plugin (using IcedTea-Web 1.2 (1.2-2ubuntu1))
Imgur Uploader 1.0.3
LastPass 1.90.6
Lazarus: Form Recovery 2.3
Load Tabs Progressively 1.6.1
Memory Restart 1.9
Nightly Tester Tools 3.3
Organize Search Engines 1.7
Oxygen KDE 3.9
Oxygen KDE Options 3.9
QuickProxy 2009.07.19
RSS Ticker 10
Session Manager 0.7.9
Shockwave Flash
Simple Currency Converter 1.0.8 [DISABLED]
SmoothWheel (AMO) 0.45.6.20100202.1 [DISABLED]
Stylish 1.2.6 [DISABLED]
Tab Mix Plus 0.4.0.2 [DISABLED]
Tab Scope 1.1.6 [DISABLED]
Tab Utilities 1.2pre18
TimeLineRemove.Com 0.9
Tree Style Tab 0.14.2012050301
Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 2.0.3
United States English Spellchecker 6.0
WOT 20120515
Xmarks 4.0.6

Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
MSI P67A-G45 Mobo
1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
apache
Registered Member
OS
Xplorer4x4 wrote:Apache, am I understanding you that gtk3+ themes from gnome-look should work with KDE? Makes since but just checking.

I guess I will look in to building gtk-kde-config as I have tried a million different combinations of firefox setting with and with out the KDE Oxygen theme and add on.

I am not sure if Firefox is gtk2 or gtk3. That's why I chose gnomishgray because it has themes for both, so I get a consistent look in different applications. Of course you can try other themes that suits you best. I am pretty satisfied with this look.

If you are a Kubuntu user you don't need to build it yourself. It is in KDE goodies repository run by its author:
https://launchpad.net/kde-gtk-config
https://launchpad.net/~hrvojes/+archive/kde-goodies
I only have problems with ugly default gnome icons because I cannot force it to use KDE icons but this is not that important in Firefox.
Xplorer4x4
Registered Member
OS
apache wrote:I am not sure if Firefox is gtk2 or gtk3. That's why I chose gnomishgray because it has themes for both, so I get a consistent look in different applications. Of course you can try other themes that suits you best. I am pretty satisfied with this look.

If you are a Kubuntu user you don't need to build it yourself. It is in KDE goodies repository run by its author:
https://launchpad.net/kde-gtk-config
https://launchpad.net/~hrvojes/+archive/kde-goodies
I only have problems with ugly default gnome icons because I cannot force it to use KDE icons but this is not that important in Firefox.

Thanks for the PPA link. Some how I missed it. I installed it, but not sure how I use it. I found the gtk-kde-config options in System Settings->Application Appearance and used the built in open-desktop browser window to grab about 5 themes. Some are tar.gz and some are .zip. I figuered I would install them one of two ways. The first was in kde-gtk-config using the install local file option. It wants an archive but it only show 2 archives out of the 5 I downloaded. So I tried to select one but the import button is greyed out/disabled still. So I tried to Import one in the Colors section. It acts as if it imported the theme as it shows up in the list, but when I apply it, it is just the Zion Reversed theme. I tried archives and the theme files included in them. To top it off, I can no longer access the kde-gtk-config menu. The window just freezes up and crashes when I try to load it now.

Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
MSI P67A-G45 Mobo
1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
apache
Registered Member
OS
I can only refer to my topic:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=102389#p223847
Just clear the old config files and try again. Sometimes you need to log out and log in. I spent quite a lot of time to make it work, just by trial and error and finally something clicked and it works.

Themes are stored in
/home/user_name/.themes/
or when you install from repository in
/usr/share/themes/
You may try these themes:
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/06/5-nice-g ... u-ppa.html
Or go to http://www.gnome-look.org and search for gtk3 themes that has also gtk2 versions.

Here is how my Firefox looks now:
and here is how my Thunderbird looks now:
Xplorer4x4
Registered Member
OS

Re: how to integrate Firefox into KDE

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:18 am
apache wrote:I can only refer to my topic:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=102389#p223847
Just clear the old config files and try again. Sometimes you need to log out and log in. I spent quite a lot of time to make it work, just by trial and error and finally something clicked and it works.

Thanks for the tips but none of those folders are present in my home dir. I turned on the view hidden files option in dolphin just to make sure.

Why is it so hard for firefox to integrate with KDE..:(

Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
MSI P67A-G45 Mobo
1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
Xplorer4x4
Registered Member
OS
I managed to wipe the settings using sudo apt-get purge, but I think I finally found the answer:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=299287#c3
The problem is I can not find the trunk or a stable chanel for the theme.

Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
MSI P67A-G45 Mobo
1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU