This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDM and Ksplash Screens - A smooth transition solution

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Snowhog
Registered Member
OS
Moderators: If this is posted to the wrong board, please move accordingly.

Kubuntu 11.10, KDE 4.7.3, both fully up to date.

I have long been annoyed by the transition from the KDM log on screen to the Ksplash screen. I use user login and a KDM Theme (Horos). When leaving the KDM screen the background image is scaled by Ksplash, which makes the visual transition from KDM to Ksplash look awkward. I have looked, but not found, an easy fix to Ksplash (and there are plenty of posts/reports on this visual 'ugliness'. However, there is a very easy fix to this problem in KDM.

All one needs to do is change one single word in the KDM themes .xml file and problem is solved. I'm using the default Horos KDM theme, so the change is made to:

/usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/horos/horos.xml

Using your favorite text editor launched as root, change crop to scale in the following line:

<normal wallpaper="Horos" scalemode="crop"/>

Save and close the file, log out and log back in and Voila! Smooth transition from KDM to Ksplash screens.

Administrator
Kubuntu Forums . Net - https://kubuntuforums.net
Hans
Administrator
OS
Nice, moved to Tutorials & Tips since it seems to fit well here. :)

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts