This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Oppening Chrome profiles in activities

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
p2ranger
Registered Member
OS
I have two activities for Plasma. One for personal use and one for work. I have two google-chrome user profiles that I use. One for personal and one for work. I have managed to create a .desktop file to let me open chrome to a specific profile.

Is there a way to have a profile default to a specific activity? I currently have to open chrome and then tell it to move to an activity if it is not in the one I want. I tried using the special window/application settings, but both profiles get treated the same when trying to get one to show up in a specific activity.

Thanks for any help

Jason
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
My primary suggestion would be to put a shortcut to each profiles on each Activity (as a widget on the desktop). Then when you want to open chrome to a specific profile you first make sure you are in the relevant Activity and then just click the shortcut.

I'm not sure what use case one might have to launch an application from one Activity that you didn't want to open up on that Activity (at least initially) (besides when first logging in and you want to preload the applications. Does Chrome not cooperate with Plasma's session management?).

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
p2ranger
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the idea. I wound up pinning a separate chrome profile launcher on each activity using Latte Dock.

Jason
zeddock
Registered Member
Since I am looking at this issue in a similar way, it might be helpful to describe my USE-CASE to help in the discussion.

Like p2Ranger I use a work and personal account for things, and this is also true for the Google Chrome Browser, which syncs based on the profile I am using. I have to keep these accounts separate.

I am coming from Windows 7, so please understand in advance and allot me a smidgin of wiggle to explain, request and learn, while I describe what HAD BEEN my normal operation of work-flow.

I got used to switching between my Chrome WORK profile (browser-window-instance) and my Chrome PERSONAL profile (browser window instance) via the "taskbar" icons on the bottom of my Win7 screen. Each icon would have a badge on it that corresponded to the 2 different profile icons set up in the "Manage People" section of the browser.

With the badges, I am able to quickly switch between WORK and PERSONAL environments. As things stand, right now, on Manjaro... and also on Linux Mint, which I am also testing, both profiles show up as the same icon, without distinction. This forces a work-flow of hover, slide select, and THAT is based on the mini-picture of what is on the screen of each browser profile... which I forget, after working on the other for a period of time.

I have not seen this issue addressed very much, so I am wondering if I am just not using the correct terminology to search and comment on it. I hope that does not add to the matter in a negative way, and also, hope someone will post back ideas for aligning the displayed icons in KDE in a similar way as has been established in the Windows version, for distinguishing between Chrome Browser Profile instances.

Thanx for KDE... Seems awesome so far!

zeddock
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Applying the ideas that have been discussed already in this topic, I would most definitely recommend using KDE Plasma's Activities to organize your work.

Plasma Activities are like the Multiple Desktops feature in various environments where you can spread your work out between different workspaces and switch between them based on what you want to do at any given moment. Plasma's Activities take this a step further by allowing you to have different sets of widgets and associate different launchers, files and even power management profiles with different Activities.

In your case I would recommend setting up (at least) two Activities, one for the Work environment and one for the Personal environment, and in each of those set up a custom shortcut for opening Chrome with the given profile as suggested in my previous post. Then when you want to switch from one to the other, you do that by switching Activity.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
p2ranger
Registered Member
OS
I created a new image icon for the other profile that I wanted to launch. This way the two chrome icons are more discernible when clicking on one as a launcher in Latte Dock. I just used GIMP to add some text on top of the Chrome symbol.
zeddock
Registered Member
Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into Activities.
amilcar
Registered Member
Hi all,

Can someone please assist with the actual creation of the 'custom icon'? KDE newbie here! Thanks.