This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
The Discussions and Opinions forum is a place for open discussion regarding everything related to KDE, within the boundaries of KDE Code of Conduct. If you have a question or need a solution for a KDE problem, please post in the apppropriate forum instead.

Window tiling - 4 "windows"

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Abit
Registered Member

Window tiling - 4 "windows"

Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:54 pm
Hello, I am new here and only came because of something that triggers my OCD.
Today I noticed that when I have 3 windows filling single screen (right half, left top and bottom corners) and drag a window, it will drag the rest as well (moving the T of window edges move away from center of the screen). This makes it impossible for the tall window (right half) to fill exactly 50% of the width (when I resize the window I can make it 80% of screen width and then new window placed against the same screen edge will also be 80% of screen width and not 50%).

I searched through System Settings but found nothing.

EDIT: I am using 4K monitor as my main screen and usually work with at least 2 windows (1920px wide).

Debian Bookwom
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.90
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.102.0
Qt Version: 5.15.8
Kernel Version: 6.1.0-3-amd64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
patrickking
Registered Member

Re: Window tiling - 4 "windows"

Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:34 am
Hi,

I just noticed this issue as well. The "resize multiple windows at once" feature if they're tiled seems to have been added in KDE 5.27.0 released a week ago. The release notes say: "Speaking of features, check out the new tiling system: it will allow you to set up custom tile layouts and resize adjacent tiled windows simultaneously." This describes the behaviour I'm seeing, where two windows tiled to the left and the right on one display are both resized at the same time by dragging the dividing line. After resizing windows this way, any other window tiled to either side uses the same dimensions. And, there is no way to tell the system to just give tiled windows 50% width again, or to turn the feature off (unless I have missed some documentation somewhere about this). There is a control panel option about enabling a menu item for a tile group editor, but even with this option on I don't know where to find this menu item.

It creates the strange sensation that after changing the width of any window one time, no windows on that screen will ever be precisely 50% wide again, and once this is done for multiple displays then we may have 4 or 6 columns each of different width, instead of that many identically sized columns. It's not exactly a bug ... but it just triggers one's sense of order and this is somewhat distracting.

Information about the mentioned editor would be good.

Thanks,
Patrick

KDE Neon