This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
The Discussions and Opinions forum is a place for open discussion regarding everything related to KDE, within the boundaries of KDE Code of Conduct. If you have a question or need a solution for a KDE problem, please post in the apppropriate forum instead.

change wallpaper & weather wallpaper

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Untit13d
Registered Member
OS
1. Since in KDE 4.3 wasn't added a feature to change wallpapers through dcop/dbus, like in KDE 3.x, I wonder if there is another way to set wallpaper besides changing plasma-desktop-appletsrc and restarting plasma?

2. I like new weather wallpaper plasma feature, but is there a way to get a path of current image? Information stored in plasma-desktop-appletsrc is not sufficient:

[Containments][81][Wallpaper][weather]
source=envcan|weather|City
updateWeather=30
userswallpapers=
wallpapercolor=56,111,150
wallpaperposition=0

Thanks.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
1) I can find no such direct function, but calling reparseConfiguration may work.

2) I do not believe it is possible to retrieve such information as the wallpaper is chosen dynamically. It likely exists some place under /usr/share.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
There is a "next wallpaper" plasmoid. It says it works with KDE 4.2, don't know about 4.3. Perhaps by looking at the source you can see how they do it.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Untit13d
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:1) I can find no such direct function, but calling reparseConfiguration may work.

Could you specify what command should I use to reparseConfiguration. All commands I tried returned me "call failed".
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
@TheBlackCat:

Heh, i also thought of that widget. Unfortunately it seems it is only working when the Desktop is in slideshow mode. And looking at the code, there are only some Qt calls to the slideshow containment.

@Untit13d:
Code: Select all
qdbus org.kde.plasma-desktop /MainApplication reparseConfiguration

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
Untit13d
Registered Member
OS
neverendingo wrote:@Untit13d:
qdbus org.kde.plasma-desktop /MainApplication reparseConfiguration

Thanks, but here is what it returns:
Invalid D-BUS interface name 'org.kde.plasma-desktop.PlasmaApp' found while parsing introspection

And here is the output of qdbus org.kde.plasma-desktop /MainApplication:
Invalid D-BUS interface name 'org.kde.plasma-desktop.PlasmaApp' found while parsing introspection
method void org.kde.KApplication.quit()
method void org.kde.KApplication.reparseConfiguration()
method void org.kde.KApplication.updateUserTimestamp()
method void org.kde.KApplication.updateUserTimestamp(int time)
property readwrite int com.trolltech.Qt.QApplication.cursorFlashTime
property readwrite int com.trolltech.Qt.QApplication.doubleClickInterval
property readwrite QSize com.trolltech.Qt.QApplication.globalStrut
property readwrite int com.trolltech.Qt.QApplication.keyboardInputInterval
property readwrite bool com.trolltech.Qt.QApplication.quitOnLastWindowClosed
property readwrite int com.trolltech.Qt.QApplication.startDragDistance
property readwrite int com.trolltech.Qt.QApplication.startDragTime
property readwrite QString com.trolltech.Qt.QApplication.styleSheet
property readwrite int com.trolltech.Qt.QApplication.wheelScrollLines
property readwrite QString com.trolltech.Qt.QCoreApplication.applicationName
property readwrite QString com.trolltech.Qt.QCoreApplication.applicationVersion
property readwrite QString com.trolltech.Qt.QCoreApplication.organizationDomain
property readwrite QString com.trolltech.Qt.QCoreApplication.organizationName
method void local.PlasmaApp.toggleDashboard()
method int org.kde.KUniqueApplication.newInstance()
method int org.kde.KUniqueApplication.newInstance(QByteArray asn_id)
method int org.kde.KUniqueApplication.newInstance(QByteArray asn_id, QByteArray args)
method QDBusVariant org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get(QString interface_name, QString property_name)
method QVariantMap org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.GetAll(QString interface_name)
method void org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Set(QString interface_name, QString property_name, QDBusVariant value)
method QString org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable.Introspect()

And it doesn't change my wallpaper ((
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
That output is due to a bug in KApplication, which KUniqueApplication is based on, and is due to using invalid characters in its D-Bus interface. This is currently under discussion on kde-core-devel, including methods of fixing it.

KDE Sysadmin
kap4lin
Registered Member
OS
Just out of curiosity:
Untit13d wrote:2. I like new weather wallpaper plasma feature,

How much CPU does this feature use? Is this stable enough for daily usage?

Sidux 2010.01 (Debian/Sid) - Intel i5 M 540, 4 GB RAM, Nvidia NVS 3100M on Lenovo T410
Untit13d
Registered Member
OS
kap4lin wrote:How much CPU does this feature use? Is this stable enough for daily usage?

Well, it shouldn't use any CPU, since what it does is changing wallpapers according to current weather in your region with set delay. It is probably a simple script/application that runs once in 30 mins (default time interval), gets weather online and changes your wallpaper. It is stable enough, but sometimes there may be empty wallpaper (just blue background), i guess it is because there is no image assigned to some weather conditions. Sadly, I couldn't find where configuration files and images are stored for this app.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The automatic weather wallpaper is a Plasma wallpaper plugin that checks the configured weather provider once every so often ( this is configurable, and may be restricted by the weather provider )

KDE Sysadmin
JaKi
Registered Member
OS
Because this thread is about changing the wallpaper: is there a way to call the dialog in which you change the wallpaper from commandline? Usually you have to rightclick onto the desktop to get the dialog or press a key combination.

By now I change my wallpaper through a servicemenu. I have set the wallpaper in that dialog to use ~/background.jpg. And via the picture's servicemenu I copy another file to background.jpg. That works fine except for one exception: the new wallaper only appears after either a relogin or in current session when I open the wallpaper dialog and confirm it without changing anything. So I'd love to call that dialog from the servicemenu.

Or any other idea? Refreshing the desktop with F5 does not update the shown wallpaper and stopping/restarting plasma gives an error message about "Invalid D-BUS interface name".
JaKi
Registered Member
OS
I installed the "next wallpaper" widget and it works fine even when the desktop is not in slideshow mode! I now set the wallpaper via my servicemenu (copy the chosen picture to background.jpg) and just have to click on the next wallpaper widget in the panel to let the new wallpaper smoothly blend in (I now use a subdirectory in which background.jpg is the only picture). Nice!