This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
The Discussions and Opinions forum is a place for open discussion regarding everything related to KDE, within the boundaries of KDE Code of Conduct. If you have a question or need a solution for a KDE problem, please post in the apppropriate forum instead.

Problems with Dolphin (KDE 3.5.10)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tenchi39
Registered Member

Problems with Dolphin (KDE 3.5.10)

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:09 am
Dear KDE Developers!

I have the following problems with dolphin. (I use the KDE 3.5.10, KDE4 is not yet good enough for me)

1) File changes (like size, or a file being deleted by an other program) are not shown in real time. I don't want to reload, the contents of the panes should be monitored.

2) After exiting a directory, the first item of the previous directory is selected, not the one I just left.

3) If I select like 30 archives in a directory and try to extract them all, all of them start at the same time and most crash. I have to extract files one by one :-( If a lot of archives are selected, extracting should proceed one by one...

Please correct these to make Dolphin 10 times better :-D

Tenchi

tenchi39, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Jucato
Registered Member
OS
Dear KDE Developers!

Unfortunately you are addressing the wrong party. The KDE 3 Dolphin wasn't developed by KDE developers, although it was initially created by the same person who made Dolphin in KDE 4. However, the KDE 3 has no longer been maintained for more than a year now. Someone forked it and renamed it to D3lphin, which Kubuntu has decided, for one reason or another, to ship as their default file manager. However, that someone also dropped it eventually and it is no longer maintained from his end as well.

Long story short: It is now something only Kubuntu maintains and supports. You can try reaching them in #kubuntu IRC or http://kubuntuforums.net

Please correct these to make Dolphin 10 times better

It already is... in KDE 4. Unfortunately, I highly doubt D3lphin will be able to even become 2x better at this point...

Jucato, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS
The KDE3 version of Dolphin will probably never see any more additional coding ever. It's not really maintained even by us at Kubuntu. :P
The only things that would probably ever be fixed until Hardy falls out of support are security holes, if any arise.

JontheEchinda, proud to be a member of the Kubuntu team since July 2008.
tenchi39
Registered Member
OK, thanks :-D

And are these problems addressed in the KDE4 version?

GeneralZod
KDE Developer
OS
tenchi39 wrote:OK, thanks :-D

And are these problems addressed in the KDE4 version?

Number 1 at least is something that I've submitted is a patch for (it's not a Dolphin problem, per se - the fix needs to be further down the stack, deep within kdelibs), but unfortunately the maintainer of that part of the stack is kept so incredibly busy with his new job that he doesn't really have time to review it :/

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=154676

2. I don't know about - I'll have a look this evening.

3. May or may not be the responsibility of Ark to get right - I'm not sure.

VVVV You are welcome :)

Last edited by GeneralZod on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssj-gz.blogspot.com: KDE4Daily, Konqueror4 Restoration
tenchi39
Registered Member
Thanks!

Jucato
Registered Member
OS
1. Works properly here in KDE 4.1.2, that is, changes are reflected immediately.

2. When you go up or back to a previous directory you've been to, nothing is selected at all. Probably more preferable than having the first item in the directory always selected.

3. This has always been Ark's responsibility. Unfortunately, currently Ark doesn't integrate with Dolphin (and Konqueror) at all.

Jucato, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
tenchi39
Registered Member
1) Sounds good :-D

2) I'm not very good in english but will try to explain. If I have a long list of directories in detailed view for example, and want to check the contents of some, than when I exit one of them I need the "cursor" to be over the directory I just exited. It is very frustrating to go in a directory, exit and go down the list to find the next again insted of just pressing the down arrow like in total commander. I belive konqueror worked the same way too :-D

3) I hope ark will integrate in the future. or it could have a feature to disable multiple instances of itself when starting it with an archive to extract or whatever....

:-D