This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
The Discussions and Opinions forum is a place for open discussion regarding everything related to KDE, within the boundaries of KDE Code of Conduct. If you have a question or need a solution for a KDE problem, please post in the apppropriate forum instead.

"Help KDE: become an active contributor" (promo idea)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cyrex
Registered Member
OS
Did NOT know about how i could help in KDE. This is awesome. i have 4 years of C/C++ experience so i will give some time every weekend to help out. My favorite project this is awesome.

CYREX, Super proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct. And to the older forum since 2005
superori
Registered Member
OS
Hi, I want to help in programming and fixing bugs, but I don't know how to start. I think that more people is in the same situation as me. It will be fine to have a tutor or instructor in our initialization.

Can be possible to reopen the Klassroom and start new courses for begginers? I have read a lot of documentation but the instructor figure is a great help for the newbie. Fixing easy bugs would be a good initialization.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
We are always searching for mentors and a timeslot to start again. So basically, it is not dead and will come back :)

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
cyrex
Registered Member
OS
Thanks and yes i am in the same position as superori, searching where to start from my level of experience.

CYREX, Super proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct. And to the older forum since 2005
alsaf
Registered Member
I would like to post some thoughts about this topics.

IMHO, there are two main types of FOSS developers, one as mentioned before who writes software as part of uni project and the other those who want to create software that is related to something they are interested in like music, video editing, language learning etc. or wants a specific functionality like a file search engine. There are those of course who like the challenge of wants to make a better version of existing software.

How do you get people other than those motivated individuals involved? How about a sort of V facility? You create a profile, you contribute to a specific project and the details and frequency of contributions are added to the CV. You take this CV to prospective employers which shows them what you have done in your spare time.

Further to this CV idea, it should not be solely focused on programming. If you contribute and fully research bugs, supply documentation etc, it should be noted. This can be sold to potential employers as evidence of team working skills, attention to detail etc.

Lastly, I would like to make a point about entry level skills for contributing code to projects. In light of the advances of JavaScript engines, particularly in the browser wars between Google, Firefox and IE, why isn't JavaScript not being used in UI functionality of programs and keeping C++, which is harder to learn, to the lower level stuff? If this model could be developed then it would open up greater parts of projects to people with limited programming experience to handle the GUI part and allow developers to concentrate on the important stuff.
peterandrew
Registered Member
OS
Hello .i also want to become the active member of the KDE community...
alsaf
Registered Member
I was thinking would a good place to start with KDE development is to write plugins via scripting? I've had a wee look at scripting on Parley and from what I see it doesn't look too hard. The only requirement is knowledge of an script language like Python which is easy to pick up and the KDE libraries.
wilczekron
Registered Member
finex wrote:I completely agree. More developers could really help to improve the software.

Involving universities could be very interesting. Probably students from universities are people who could be motivated and, not less important, with a lot of available time. Moreover a KDE-University project could be useful for gaining degree points, thesis or PHD.
A mutual collaboration: students give us help on development but they can learn a job (programming) :-)

I'm with Dario :-)

I agree with that, I'm also looking forward that more developers will give their share in improving the software. Good exercise for programming students. Its a win-win situation. Giving while learning! =)
cobbie137
Registered Member
OS
Hello.. i would love to be an active contributor...
l.t.
Registered Member
I can't promote this system & be a contributor 'til some things changed back

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=107290
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
l.t. wrote:I can't promote this system & be a contributor 'til some things changed back

How does this relate to KDE and contributing to KDE?

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
l.t.
Registered Member
l.t. wrote:I can't promote this system & be a contributor 'til some things changed back

neverendingo wrote:

How does this relate to KDE and contributing to KDE?

For this I want to excuse me to all the people who are involved in KDE,
I had the absolutly wrong information the KDE-developers are not only working together whith the debian-developers
my information 'til yesterday night was, they're the same.
This surely makes a BIG difference
& in this case I'll like to bet you, to delete the relevant not true postings

I want to thank you for your big work around in this
and once again
please excuse this misunderstanding from my side
qiaoanc
Registered Member
Hey,I am a freshman to this forum.
And i want to contribute to the kde project(like rekonq kopete).
But i have no exprience in qt delvelopment. How to get it started?
Thanks very much!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I am not sure if there is any recommended path to starting in Qt development, however you may find this to be of help - https://blogs.kde.org/2008/06/19/free-qt-4c-book-online

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
naraesk
Registered Member
OS
I started with the tutorial on the qt documentation. After being familar with Qt I read the Tutorial on techbase.kde.org, most of them ware really helpful. :-)

And now, these is my first appliction: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/kr ... ent=156498
It's a translator (using Google) for Krunner. Hope you like it!

Next I want to do some changes to Klipper.