This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
The Discussions and Opinions forum is a place for open discussion regarding everything related to KDE, within the boundaries of KDE Code of Conduct. If you have a question or need a solution for a KDE problem, please post in the apppropriate forum instead.

About the new folder icons in KDE 4.7

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
BSmith1012
Registered Member
OS
I think it would be a better idea if major refactoring of icons would change the icon theme name instead of just making changes to "oxygen" constantly. That way users could choose which icon set they want easily if they were posted on kde-look. The icon set names could even be something simple like "oxygen-original" or "oxygen-4.7".
AndrzejL
Registered Member
OS
Complaining about the single icon or icons theme is really pointless... It's a) meaningless for the OS / DE speed and stability b) super easy to change...

Here is how to do it in PCLinuxOS 2011 but I bet it's just as easy in any other distro...

Changing KDE4 folder icon.

http://sparewotw.wordpress.com/2011/06/ ... lder-icon/

Not mentioning changing the entire icon set which is even easier ;).

Regards.

Andy

Edit 22nd June 2013 - noticed that people still try to access this post so I'm updating the link to the post since it no longer exists on my personal server.

Last edited by AndrzejL on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrzejL
Registered Member
OS
Who me? No problem at all :).

Regards.

Andy

Edit: There were 2 "Thank You posts" before I posted this message... Now they are gone. You are welcome anyroad ;).

rascranasingha
Registered Member
OS
theotherone wrote:this new icon set has far less bling,which is good for me. It appears more integrated to the overall color theme.Earlier icons were also good.

Now if they integrate progress bar to the horizontal line seen in the folder icon, it would be cool.

I agree... I also think the previous icons were good as well...

කරපු තරමක් කෙරුවෙ උදව්... අහපු තරමක් ඇහුව බැනුම්
- If you expect to help... expect earshot (Singhalese Proverb)

I wish I was Dave Bowman, I really do. :(
geoaraujo
Registered Member
OS
TheBlackCat wrote:For the most part the other oxygen icons are bright, shiny, often have the appearance of transparency, have a strong sense of depth, and usually have lots of curves. The new icon is dark, matte, opaque, lacks a sense of depth or perspective, and has lots of sharp edges. The recessed line is a nice touch, but I think it would have been better adding it to a variant of the existing icons rather than the dark, matte, otherwise flat-looking icons we have now.

For instance, look at the pictures folder icon. It has a bunch of generic pictures in it, and I gather the folder is supposed to look a little bit open. But in reality all they did was shift the top of the front flap of the folder down a little. There is no sense of perspective that would indicate that the folder is open, no change in the size of the front part of the folder that would imply that it is closer to you than in the empty folder icon, no increased curviness at the bottom to give a sense that the folder is full. None of the depth cues that could have used to give it a 3D feeling are there.

The special folders icons also are also incosistent. Some icons, like the home icon, use a recessed symbol to signify the folder. Others, like pictures and documents, have icons inside the folder (although these are hard to see with previews enabled, and they are very small and easy to miss, this is something that would have benefited from transparency). Others, like music or videos, use an overlay icon. It would probably be better to choose one or maybe two approaches (for instance the recessed symbol and objects in the folder could be used in the same icon to make it clearer). But having three different methods to signify what sort of folder it is makes things too confusing. You can't tell where you are supposed to look in order to identify the folder.

I agree.

Debian 8.6

KDE 4.14.2
Dell N4050 Intel i5 CPU 2.50GHz 64-bit Integrated Graphics 4GB ram
Acer A4540 AMD Athlon E X2 2.0GHz 64-bit ATI Radeon HD4200 Graphics 4GB ram

TDE R14.0.3
Acer AOD260 Intel Atom N450 1.66GHz 32-bit Integrated Graphics 2GB ram
AlexHope
Registered Member
I quite like the new icons. They meight not be as flash and sharp as the old style, but I believe they do the job. With a few tweaks here and there I think we will have ourselves a better version than before.
leoplaw
Registered Member
OS
The "new" icon set is just awful. I agree with TheBlackCat's notes.

The icon folders look like Gnome folder icons, only worse.

The smug guy that created these icons pompously declared on the bug tracker, "HE" alone decides what goes in the icon set.

Thanks (NOT). Many people have spent a great deal of time configuring their desktop to look just the way they like it, and then along comes somebody without any sense of design that messes everything up.

I have done as others and have downgraded to the "old" icon set.

However, I still have one persistent folder icon that just won't go away and I can't find out how to get rid of it. I've looked in every folder under /usr/share/icons and can't find the offending culprit.

Can some one please give me some direction on how to expunge this list one last awful icon?
leoplaw
Registered Member
OS
AndrzejL wrote:

http://andrzejl.no-ip.org:10101/wordpre ... lder-icon/

Regards.

Andy

Thank you Andy for that post! That did the job. I'm a happy KDE user again. 8)
geoaraujo
Registered Member
OS
Ok, of course we can change them. But why making those folder icons the new KDE's default?
"Elegantly yours?" Sure, just not with those new folder icons.

Debian 8.6

KDE 4.14.2

TDE R14.0.3
damipereira
Registered Member
OS
Design desitions are hard, everyone screams because the icons they liked changed, but then some of them get used to it and like it more, and some hate it and go back to the old one, it is mostly because changes are uncomfortable.
The thing is achieving balance, I've been reading and lots of people seem to like the icons, just that people with negative opinions talk MUCH more that people with positive opinion.
About the icons I like the contrast and color, it also gives it a simpler look, Yet it still needs a bit of work in my opinion, more consistency between different types of folders, as black cat said, some use documents inside folder, some use overlay, this makes it look a bit inconsistent, I would prefer image folder to become the normal folder icon in preview mode, because there's no need for stock image in there if you already have your own.
Also I'm not totally convinced about how it looks in small size, as I see it in dolphin side bar, the home button is a bit unclear, I think it needs more contrast. (and by the way, thats another method for showing folder contents, which I personally don't think it's inconsistent)
I read from nuno that they progressed a lot in git, so there might be a lot of better icons, but it is hard to find and download the current git icon theme, there is not a single download link in oxygen icons page(it seems very outdated too).
So I think the new icons are a progress, but they are a bit incomplete, people will rant, like with everything new(like kde4) but when the work is finished then it all changes. Thanks for the good work, nuno and company :)
isaacj87
Registered Member
OS
I have a question: How exactly are the new icons supposed to look?

I ran across this interesting issue when I was playing with the new 4.7 RC1 release (on Chakra).

Here's a pic: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3251417/Screeni ... ompare.png

In Dolphin, at 112 pixels, the folder seems smoother and slightly blurred. In fact, it's looks pretty good IMO. However, if you bump up the size to 128 pixels, the icon changes to a sharper, more Tango looking icon.

Should I report this as a bug?

EDIT: Reported
Moult
Global Moderator
OS
isaacj87, it's because icons are created at set sizes such as 16x16, 24x24, etc, including 128x128. Any "non-standard" size is raster-resized, thus creating the smoothed and slightly blurred effect.

I'm not a fan of the new icons either, and nor am I happy that Nuno is surprising us with these changes, of which the response seems to be mainly negative, with hints that it's part of something much, much bigger.

Talk to the community, Nuno.

Moult, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
thinkMoult - source for tech, art, and animation: hilarity and interest ensured!
WIPUP.org - a unique system to share, critique and track your works-in-progress projects.
AndrzejL
Registered Member
OS
leoplaw wrote:
AndrzejL wrote:

http://andrzejl.no-ip.org:10101/wordpre ... lder-icon/

Regards.

Andy

Thank you Andy for that post! That did the job. I'm a happy KDE user again. 8)

Cool beans :).

Regards.

Andy

pinheiro
Registered Member
OS
Hey guys, this icon was a co-work of me and Eugene... after I the new mime-types witch most of you guys liked the old folders looked off and the folders were a constant request by users.

this new folders are yes different, but have many good things about them, first they are not done only by Nuno, they are super sharp in all sizes. they fit the new mime-types pretty well and from my research people grow fond of them after roughly a week of use, witch is a very good sign of quality for something that is seen all over the place in a desktop.

Of course I expected some people to not like them, I assure you I did not decided to do this out of a whim I pondered this very much and tested allot.

And as I expected after some negative remarks about this not beeing "oxygen" people seam to like them more and more..

One note, some one noted that they are inconsistent across themselves, you are correct and the overlay like the home icon would probably bee better for all of them, but for the sake of smooth transition I decided to use the same type of overlay as in the old ones.

cheers and hoping some of you got to like them as time passed Nuno
geoaraujo
Registered Member
OS
I have to admit that I first hated them and now I'm starting to like them. By the way, is there a folder for games with the new look?

Debian 8.6

KDE 4.14.2

TDE R14.0.3