This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
The Discussions and Opinions forum is a place for open discussion regarding everything related to KDE, within the boundaries of KDE Code of Conduct. If you have a question or need a solution for a KDE problem, please post in the apppropriate forum instead.

About the new folder icons in KDE 4.7

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
DanaKil
Registered Member
Actually, I think the new folder icons are pretty good :)

DanaKil, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Way Walker
Registered Member
OS
I liked them pretty quickly. I think the main issue is that there was no comment about why it was done until now, a couple months after it was introduced out of the blue. I think a lot of the negativity would've been avoided if Nuno's post had come around the time it appeared on desktops (or, better yet, before it appeared). When it first appeared, all I found was the blog post linked earlier in this thread mentioning the new icons without any further comment.

Also, a relatively large change like this seems more appropriate for a major 4.x release instead of a minor point release like 4.6.3. I think this was made worse since the transition was incomplete. On my desktop it took another release or two before the smallest sizes and some of the folders at any size took on the new style, which is certainly not something I expected from a minor release.
Moult
Global Moderator
OS
Way Walker - the disparity with sizes not taking on the new icon seems to be a commonly hit bug https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=272756

For those experiencing the aforementioned problem in 4.7, it may be fixed by switching icon themes, then switching back to Oxygen.

Moult, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
thinkMoult - source for tech, art, and animation: hilarity and interest ensured!
WIPUP.org - a unique system to share, critique and track your works-in-progress projects.
molecule-eye
Registered Member
OS
The new icons are not as nice as the old ones (obviously this is my own opinion, so I won't mention that hereafter). As many have noticed they have an old gnome or tango look to them and the folder icons don't sit well stylistically with most of the rest of the theme. The claim that they match better with the mime type icons I find a bit bewildering.

They're not horrible, of course, and I could just as easily live with them. But I think they're a step backwards as far as aesthetics goes. I would be happy to see the old icons reintroduced later, but I highly doubt that will happen. That said, I think the whole theme needs an overhaul so that e.g. the folder icons match with the rest of theme. (This is controversial, I know!)

On a side, after updating (Kubuntu), even when I manually set one of the new icon folders it reverts to the old (e.g. purple folder) in the icon view mode of Dolphin. Oddly this doesn't always happen, so I'm not sure what's going on.
zc456
Registered Member
OS
I like the new folder icons in 4.7. Feel more polished and laid back.

Stay frosty, Squeaks
cojack
Registered Member
OS
OMFG!

Guys WTF you do with so pretty icons? This new one is SOOOOO UGLLLLLLLY!!!!

Where is the old one oxygen icons?

OMG Now KDE icons looks like gtk ****...

disgusted :(
einar
Administrator
OS
I would recommend to avoid hyperbolic statements like these ones, which aren't really in the spirit of the CoC. It's perfectly fine to not like them (as the length of this thread shows, there's a lot of varying opinion), but can we avoid being disrespectful, please?

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
zc456
Registered Member
OS
Sigh... cojack, I wouldn't be surprised if the icons become available again via. KDE-look. Give it a rest.

Update:
Yup... knew it.

Stay frosty, Squeaks
geoaraujo
Registered Member
OS
zc456 wrote:Sigh... cojack, I wouldn't be surprised if the icons become available again via. KDE-look. Give it a rest.

Look here:

http://opendesktop.org/content/show.php?content=142662

Debian 8.6

KDE 4.14.2
Dell N4050 Intel i5 CPU 2.50GHz 64-bit Integrated Graphics 4GB ram
Acer A4540 AMD Athlon E X2 2.0GHz 64-bit ATI Radeon HD4200 Graphics 4GB ram

TDE R14.0.3
Acer AOD260 Intel Atom N450 1.66GHz 32-bit Integrated Graphics 2GB ram
zc456
Registered Member
OS
geoaraujo wrote:
zc456 wrote:Sigh... cojack, I wouldn't be surprised if the icons become available again via. KDE-look. Give it a rest.

Look here:

http://opendesktop.org/content/show.php?content=142662

Yup, saw that a minute or so ago. Already updated my post.

Stay frosty, Squeaks
wilker
Registered Member
OS
thank you guys for sharing the link to the old oxygen icons!

anyway...a question, rather as a matter of curiosity: the default folder icons (kde 4.7) are the same. for example, for music folder, documents, videos, etc...i have seen there is normally a different icon for music folders, like a folder with a musical note..and in my system the folder where always the same. i ask if this is normal or my system has something wrong with the icons? are they meant to be the same?
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
As far as i can remember you need to set those icons explicitely with the "properties" of each folder. Default is to show a plain folder icon.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
Anixx
Registered Member
OS
I hated the old Oxygen folder icons and I think nothing can be worse. I cited them as one of the reasons why KDE4 is worser than KDE3. The new icons seems much better. I even use them in KDE3 (although the theme seems not to be fully compatible).

http://storage9.static.itmages.ru/i/12/ ... 0f5a0b.png