This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
The Discussions and Opinions forum is a place for open discussion regarding everything related to KDE, within the boundaries of KDE Code of Conduct. If you have a question or need a solution for a KDE problem, please post in the apppropriate forum instead.

KDE v4 feedback

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jyrki
Registered Member
OS

KDE v4 feedback

Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:32 am
The most annoying things about KDE v4 is Nepomuk and Activities. I tried to google how to get rid of Activities and found it's impossible. I set only one Activity but still I would like to get rid of the **** Activities button in top right corner.

As for Nepomuk it annoys me only when I install fresh system with KDE as this is the first thing I turn off permanently. I think Nepomuk should be off by default in KDE.

KDE v4 has improved dramatically from version 4.0 but still it is far from satisfaction and made me thing about desktop environment change. We new from the beginning that 4.0 is a testing version and every user is supposed to participate on testing so lot of people had patience with it which runs out...
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: KDE v4 feedback

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:00 pm
To get rid of the desktop toolbox: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/St ... ent=108460
And as you said Nepomuk can be disabled.

Not sure why these two features annoy you since you can simple choose to ignore them. The desktop toolbox is for more than activities, it's there to ensure that you can access the desktop settings regardless of what you do.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
jyrki
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:56 pm
Hans wrote:To get rid of the desktop toolbox: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/St ... ent=108460

Sorry, I wanted to get rid of not, not add another plasmoid.

And as you said Nepomuk can be disabled.

Yes, but when I check running processed, Nepomukserver is still running (and three other related processes) and from time to time it pops an info that Nepomuk has been disabled. When I kill Nepomukserver it gets started again in a while.

Not sure why these two features annoy you since you can simple choose to ignore them. The desktop toolbox is for more than activities, it's there to ensure that you can access the desktop settings regardless of what you do.

Desktop toolbox is useless, it takes space. I am seriously thinking about Trinity. I was much more happy with KDE3. I think KDE4 concept is bad overall and I am not friend of semantic desktop.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:41 am
From what I see here, I suspect Akonadi is getting started - which is likely what causes Nepomuk to be started up - even though you explicitly disabled it (Akonadi is not that respectful of that option).

First - do you use any KDE PIM applications?
If you do not, then open the Plasma clock settings > Calendar. Uncheck "Display events".

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
jyrki
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:04 pm
I tried to edit ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc and change
StartServer=true
to
StartServer=false

so Akonadi doesn't start anymore. This solved my problem mentioned above and also performance got increased a bit.
I will wait for KDE4.8 but I am seriously thinking about Trinity.