This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Select files and folders with checkbox

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cbianchi
Registered Member
It would be very useful if one could (de)select files and folders with a checkbox in Folders and in Contents Panels before including them in the project.

At present, if one wants to include only some sub-folders of a folder, first the entire folder must be imported, and then the non-relevant sub-folders (which could be much more than the relevant ones) must be deleted. The importing takes a lot of time.

What I propose is:

- add a checkbox to each item in the Folders and in the Contents panel
- when people "tick" a folder, all the sub-folders and files within are "ticked"
- people can de-"tick" individual sub-folders and files (which de-ticks all sub-sub-folders and files within)
- after all the ticking and de-ticking, people can drag/drop the parent folder or click a button "add all selected folders" -> the program rebuilds the tree structure, adding only the ticked folders and files
- the list of explicitly ticked and de-ticked folders and files can be saved and loaded at a second time, which can be useful for backups

I am a developer, if someone directs me to the right and simplest way to implement it, I can do it. Any suggestions?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The source code of K3b can be found at https://projects.kde.org/projects/extra ... repository - complete with Git clone urls.
Unfortunately I don't know how simple this will be to implement.

As for a workaround - you could browse to the directory whose files you want to partially add in Dolphin, and use it's selection abilities to select the desired files/folders - then use drag and drop to add them to the project.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
cbianchi
Registered Member
If in Dolphin I select only some subfolders and then drag the parent folders, K3b imports all the subfolders in the parents.

For example, if the structure is:
Code: Select all
- a
   - a1
   - a2
- b
   - b1
   - b2

and I select a, a1, b, b1; it imports also a2 and b2.
If I select only a1 and b2, it imports only them, but without structure (i.e. in the root and not inside a and b).

I will have a look at K3b source code, in my spare time...
intika
Registered Member
just to let know users...
Dolphin (KDE) have the feature, but it's implemented differently when you hover a file you have a + or a - to select/deselect the file very productive feature to manage files