This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Install "transcode" - but which transcode?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
henr
Registered Member
When I try to rip the audio from a video DVD I get the error message "Sorry - K3b uses transcode to rip Video DVDs. Please make sure it is installed."
Then I open Synaptic package manager, Reload (update) package information, and search for transcode (in package names). I get 3 results.
Only 1 of them seem relevant: mythtv-transcode-utils - Utilities used for transcoding MythTV tasks.
I install it, I restart K3b, but K3b still gives me the same error.
If I search for 'transcode' in name or description, I get a long list of packages with all sorts of names... Is it one of them I am supposed to install?
PS: I use Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS on a Lenovo Thinkpad L570
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Debian removed the transcode utility back in 2016, and Ubuntu followed suit in 2018, as it was unmaintained.
So you can't use k3b for ripping DVDs any longer, at least on those distros that have removed transcode.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
henr
Registered Member
Thank you very much!
I managed to rip the audio from the DVD using information on mplayer and ffmpeg from the last answer here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/24326/h ... from-a-dvd
w541
Registered Member
I just downloaded and installed Ubuntu Studio in November 2022 to run into exactly the same transcode missing issue.
k3b might change that message is someone tells them about this...
Hey! I'll try, too!

Ubuntu seems to be the only O/S that can handle(not freeze-up) on this buggy W541 Thinkpad. Debian, MX-AVL, Emmabuntis, and Fatdog64 all locked-up ... So I am back to using KDE Ubuntu after being a 25 year Debian Gnome advocate, mostly.

Keep up the Great Work KDE! K3B was one of my favourites of the past for this rip task but Handbrake can easily replace that function.