This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

question about k3brc in 2.0.2 (4.7.4 devel)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
panewt
Registered Member
OS
Hello

I've been running Fedora w/ Gnome for quite awhile and, with the introduction of Gnome 3.x, elected to migrate from F14 Gnome to F16 Xfce. The reason I state this is that I am very unfamiliar with KDE except that I really like k3b and it has been very good to me in F14.

Now that I am on F16, I want to cache the original state of the rc files before I start to modify (I'm being cautious in my F14->F16 migration as I don't know what the switch from Gnome to Xfce will entail).

I can see that there are some *rc* file in /usr/share/kde4/apps/k3b. As in k3bdeviceui.rc, k3b.notifyrc, and k3bui.rc. I don't see a k3brc which I know in F14 was the file that my config changes ended up in. I tried firing up k3b and exiting and I didn't find any k3brc in my home directory.

I searched the forum and found one item which implied that there was a default k3brc in /usr/share/kde4/apps/k3b, but since the question was about something else, there was no mention of "what if 3 out of the 4 are there?"

How to I generate a default k3brc file? If that is not part of kde4 or the latest k3b (yum list says I have k3b 2.0.2 and kde development platform of 4.7.4), what is the config file I need to capture before modifying?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Mamarok
Manager
OS
The configuration files usually are located in $HOME/.kde/share/config/, did you look there?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
panewt
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, your suggestion was what I needed. I looked in .kde but apparently did a ls rather than a ls -R. So I admit a pilot error here.

However, I am seeing 13 files that end in "rc" (including the one that I think I want ... k3brc). Do I need to save any of these if and when I fire up k3b and change the default settings for how I want to burn CD/DVDs?

Paul
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Well, the *rc files are always specific to an application, hence if you look for k3b it is k3brc you need. The others are certainly used for other applications, so it entirely depends on whether you use/need the other applications. Without more precision I can't tell.
Just to be on the save side I would make a backup of the complete $HOME/.kde/ folders. Don't forget that there are also user specific settings in $HOME/.kde/share/apps/, etc.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
panewt
Registered Member
OS
Your suggestion of a full backup of that folder is going to be taken.

Thanks for you advice,
Paul