This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Nepomuk - Home Diretory on NFS performance and data sizes.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
quaiky
Registered Member
At our company we keep our home directories on NFS. When i recently tried KDE again (4.8) i noticed that first Nepomuk was useing all my cpu, and 2nd filling up my fs quota within a few minutes (seemed to be virtuoso log files with sizes of multiple GB), but since my quota was used up system was dead and only way to recover was to have the admin delete all those logs. he told me he deleted more than 6GB from .kde4/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main/data/virtuosobackend directory.

This definitely does not look like a wanted behavior.
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
quaiky wrote:At our company we keep our home directories on NFS. When i recently tried KDE again (4.8) i noticed that first Nepomuk was useing all my cpu, and 2nd filling up my fs quota within a few minutes (seemed to be virtuoso log files with sizes of multiple GB), but since my quota was used up system was dead and only way to recover was to have the admin delete all those logs. he told me he deleted more than 6GB from .kde4/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main/data/virtuosobackend directory.

This definitely does not look like a wanted behavior.

You can limit indexed directories in Nepomuk's entry in "Configure Desktop". If your storage is big, and you have many files, Nepomuk's database will be big.

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
google01103
Manager
what version of KDE? over time there have been many changes to Nepomuk.

did you look at the head and tail of the log files to see if virtuoso was finding errors?
the commands head and tail run in Konsole on a file will, by default, show the first and last 10 lines in a file - to increase this numbe use the -n option

Code: Select all
head -n 20 filename
tail -n 20 filename

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

quaiky
Registered Member
kde version is 4.8.1. no i did not check the file contents but guess i could enable nepomuk again sometime when i am less busy to check it.