This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Index at full speed

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Vortex375
Registered Member
OS

Index at full speed

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:19 pm
I recently deleted my nepomuk storage (because the virtuoso-t process was stuck at 100% CPU all the time - even after the upgrade to 4.9). Now I have to re-index all my files.

By default Nepomuk indexes files slowly and it does it in the background with low-priority processes. That's a good idea generally - but since I have a lot of files I would really like for the initial indexing to complete as fast as possible, even if I can't use my computer during the time. A desktop search that has only indexed 10% of my files is worth nothing. Plus, there is no way of telling how far the indexing has progressed. So I don't know when I'm able to use the desktop search again.

Is there a way to tell nepomuk to index as fast as possible, without throttling?
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS

Re: Index at full speed

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:22 pm
There is no method to change priority but one is planned

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=304471

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
Vortex375
Registered Member
OS

Re: Index at full speed

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:51 pm
That bug doesn't address exactly what I'm talking about. Changing process priority is only part of the problem. Nepomuk doesn't even use the available system resources even when the system is idle, because the indexing does not only run on low priority but it is also throttled. If you watch the files being indexed you can see that it indexes very slowly. That is probably done to reduce disk activity. I would like to disable that throttle. The desktop search Beagle had this feature, i thought there might be a similar option for nepomuk.