This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Permanent nepomuk indexing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Pafrape
Registered Member
OS

Permanent nepomuk indexing

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:02 pm
Hello,
I find kde great to use, especially on my laptop.
Nevertheless, using nepomuk for its various functions, including the history, I would like nepomuk is enabled in permanence, even when my laptop is on battery power.
In fact, when my laptop is on battery, the function nepomuk indexing is paused.
Thank you for telling me how to force nepomuk to have nepomuk indexing function always enabled.

Thank you for your help.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Permanent nepomuk indexing

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:39 am
Nepomuk itself will remain running - for searching the already built index and other such tasks. You could try right clicking the indexer icon in the system tray and asking it to resume there - not sure if it will have much effect though...

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
vHanda
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:06 pm
Fixed in 4.10. I still need to do a blog post about it, but we will be indexing basic metadata of the file (filename + mimetype) even when on battery.
ekeluo
Registered Member
OS

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:21 am
This change has now halved my battery runtime several times because I forgot to manually pause the indexer service. Running kde 4.9.98 on kubuntu 12.10. Even though the process is niced, it still causes a lot of cpu usage and drains battery and generates heat. Please provide an option to disable/pause all indexing while on battery.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:27 am
To the best of my knowledge, Nepomuk indexing should always be suspended when the system is on battery.
Perhaps this is the first stage indexing which you are observing, rather than the second stage indexing?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
ekeluo
Registered Member
OS

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:42 pm
As of KDE SC 4.10 on (K)ubuntu 12.10, this now works properly. Thanks to everyone responsible. Now, to find a good search utility...