This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Syncing baloo indices across computers

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
stefanhinz
Registered Member
OS
Dolphin allows to tag, rate, and comment files, if Nepomuk desktop search or its successor Baloo is enabled. All that tagging, rating, and commenting works fine on one computer, but looking at the same files on another computer doesn't show any of the filled in ratings etc. That's because that meta-information is stored in databases on the local computer. Is there any halfway straightforward way to sync Nepomuk/Baloo databases to other computers?
vHanda
KDE Developer
OS
In Plasma 5, we no longer have a database where tags, ratings and comments are being stored. They are stored in the file extended attributes, and will therefore work regardless if Baloo is enabled or disabled.

Baloo is only for file indexing. If it is enabled you can search for your files via tags / ratings / comments.

If you want to sync the extended attributes, please use a tool which allows you to do that. Here is a nice read about it - http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/pages/extattrs.html
stefanhinz
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the explanation and the pointers!

How do I know whether I'm on Plasma 5 or not? I'm running openSuse 13.2 here, KDE 4.14.9. Is that Plasma 5?

http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/pages/extattrs.html mentions rsync which I use a lot, but mostly I sync with svn. Do you happen to know if svn provides any xattr support?

Stefan
vHanda
KDE Developer
OS
stefanhinz wrote:Thanks for the explanation and the pointers!

How do I know whether I'm on Plasma 5 or not? I'm running openSuse 13.2 here, KDE 4.14.9. Is that Plasma 5?

http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/pages/extattrs.html mentions rsync which I use a lot, but mostly I sync with svn. Do you happen to know if svn provides any xattr support?

Stefan

If you're on 4.14.9 then you're not on Plasma 5. However, tags / ratings / comments should still be stored in xattr if the file system supports it.

I cannot answer about SVN.
stefanhinz
Registered Member
OS
vHanda wrote:
stefanhinz wrote:
If you're on 4.14.9 then you're not on Plasma 5. However, tags / ratings / comments should still be stored in xattr if the file system supports it.

I cannot answer about SVN.

Thanks again! From the article you pointed me to ext4 seems to support xattr fine, and all my boxes here (including the Synology NAS boxes) are on ext4. Now the next thing is to update all my machines to openSuse 13.2 (which means "baloo"; some are still on 13.1 which means "nepomuk"). Then I guess I'll find out if SVN preserves xattr attributes.
antoniobernal
Registered Member
Hi :)

Does anybody sync KDE file tags satisfactorily through Dropbox between two computers with KDE?

I have a Linux desktop, in which I could use KDE, and I plan to purchase a laptop in which I could also use a distribution with KDE. I like the idea of file tags very much, and syncing the tags is a must in order to be useful. Syncing with Dropbox seems the easiest way to me... if it works. Any experience?

Thank you very much in any case! :)