This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Baloo is running but apparently not indexing

Tags: baloo, desktop seach, indexing baloo, desktop seach, indexing baloo, desktop seach, indexing
(comma "," separated)
sorenoneill
Registered Member
Running Kubuntu 15.10 on a Lenovo laptop

When ever I use baloo (in Dolphin) I am not getting all the results I expect -- which leaves me wondering whether it actually indexes all that it is supposed to.

My home folder is 30Gb with ~86k files. My ~/.local/share/baloo/index is 276MB ...

is that the right file to look at to estimate database size and is it not quite small?

My mail client is Moz TB and that appears not to be indexed, which is fine by me :) -- perhaps that's why the db is relatively(?) small..

A small test: if I create a new LibreOffice document and save it in my $HOME/ .. then wait 5-10 minutes or so and re-check the size of the ~/.local/share/baloo/index it is unchanged ... also searching for a keyword which is present in the new Libreoffice document (via Dolphin) does not return the file as a search result. In other words, that file is not indexed upon saving ... at least not within that time span

Is it possible to get some kind of print out of the indexed files from baloo?

My laptop is plugged into the power supply most of the time and I understand that power management can determine whether baloo runs or not -- can I confirm that baloo is, not only running, but actively indexing files?

So in short: baloo is obviously not completely dead on my machine (it does actually return some search results), but I'm left wondering whether it is actually still indexing files ..and.. while I appreciate the efforts to minimize the configuration-fuss it would be very nice to have some means of getting feedback from baloo ... what, if anything is baloo doing right now? (...perhaps a little panel-icon that indicates whether it is busy indexing stuff, or taking a break.. -- just a thought)

Thanks for a super effort !
- Soren, Denmark

A bit of background info:
Processes:
soon@t420s:~$ ps -A | grep baloo
1334 ? 00:00:34 baloo_file
1467 ? 00:00:00 akonadi_baloo_i
3046 ? 00:00:01 baloo_file_extr

Files:
soon@t420s:~$ find -name *baloo*
./.local/share/baloo
./.local/share/RecentDocuments/baloorc[2].desktop
./.local/share/RecentDocuments/baloorc.desktop
./.local/share/RecentDocuments/baloofilerc.desktop
./.kde/share/config/baloorc
./.config/baloofilerc
./.config/akonadi/agent_config_akonadi_baloo_indexer
./.config/akonadi/agent_config_akonadi_baloo_indexer_changes.dat
./.config/baloorc

Configuration in baloorc
soon@t420s:~$ cat .config/baloorc
[Basic Settings]
Indexing-Enabled=true

[General]
exclude folders[$e]=$HOME/SLB/
first run=true
soon@t420s:~$

Configuration in baloofilerc
soon@t420s:~$ cat .config/baloofilerc
[Basic Settings]
Indexing-Enabled=true

[General]
dbVersion=2
exclude filters=config.status,libtool,*.part,CMakeCache.txt,*.aux,*.nvram,*.class,ui_*.h,autom4te,*.lo,conftest,*.moc,lzo,*.o,*.orig,.histfile.*,Makefile.am,__pycache__,*.vm*,*.rej,moc_*.cpp,*.m4,litmain.sh,*~,.uic,*.tmp,CMakeTmp,confdefs.h,*.pyc,CMakeFiles,core-dumps,.xsession-errors*,.bzr,.pch,*.la,qrc_*.cpp,*.csproj,*.elc,CVS,.moc,po,confstat,*.rcore,*.loT,cmake_install.cmake,.git,*.pc,_darcs,*.po,*.omf,*.gmo,*.swap,.svn,.hg,CMakeTmpQmake,CTestTestfile.cmake,.obj,lost+found
exclude filters version=2
exclude folders[$e]=$HOME/SLB/
first run=false
folders[$e]=$HOME/
sorenoneill
Registered Member
I'm not entirely sure how, but I deleted all baloo related files and it indexed my home folder in 10 minutes -- all appears to work well now