This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dolphin Find Content not 100% successful

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mlagan
Registered Member
lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

balooctl status
Baloo File Indexer is running
Indexed 294852 / 294852 files
Failed to index 0 files

I am using Kubuntu (see version above) and find Dolphin Find File| Content very useful. However I am finding it only work 100% when I run Dolphin as root using command below:

kdesudo dolphin

For example when searching for the text string ".entry-content" within a Wordpress themes directory it fails to find a file in a 2012 theme called style.css file but does find a newly created test.txt find with the this string in it. However when dolphin is run as root it finds all the correct files.

From the balooctl status output above it looks like baloo is indexing correctly. I checked the permissions for the Wordpress themes folder. These show I am the owner of the folders and files so it does not look like a permissions fault here.

Has anyone experienced the same problem and found a solution?

Below is the content of my baloofilerc

[Basic Settings]
Indexing-Enabled=true

[General]
exclude filters=autom4te,*.rcore,CTestTestfile.cmake,*.o,*.omf,.hg,*.m4,*.orig,.obj,moc_*.cpp,conftest,.pch,.xsession-errors*,CMakeTmpQmake,*.tmp,qrc_*.cpp,po,.svn,.histfile.*,lzo,.bzr,.git,litmain.sh,cmake_install.cmake,CMakeFiles,*.pc,*.nvram,*.elc,*.la,.moc,CMakeCache.txt,confdefs.h,*.gmo,*.csproj,*.rej,config.status,lost+found,confstat,*.pyc,_darcs,CVS,.uic,*.part,libtool,*.aux,*.po,CMakeTmp,Makefile.am,*.lo,ui_*.h,*.loT,*~,*.moc,*.vm*,*.class,core-dumps
exclude filters version=2
exclude folders[$e]=
first run=false
folders[$e]=/media/NTFS_DATA/,$HOME/
index hidden folders=false
only basic indexing=false
google01103
Manager
moved to Desktop Search forum

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

davidmar
Registered Member
OS
Hi, Baloo is kind of a mess in that it really matters which version you are using. In the past (and with the version I'm guessing you have) text files weren't indexed unless they had a .txt extension. The same for some other types of files. I believe for some time this behaviour wasn't even able to be changed through configuration files but was hard coded. I know with later versions it is a bit different.

This problem was also mentioned late last year near the end of this thread:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=206445

I did some quick searching to see if it is possible for you to change this but didn't find much and ran out of time. However you might try making some changes as shown here:
https://community.kde.org/Baloo/Configuration and also researching which version of Baloo you have and whether you can change it.