This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

File Search doesn't work for me on Kubuntu

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sammuirhead
Registered Member
OS
I'm unsure where I should be asking for help, or if I should be filing a bug, hopefully someone can help me find out what the problem is.

I've been using Kubuntu 15.10 for the last few months, and 16.04 as of a few hours ago.
I have never been able to search for files in Dolphin. Well, I type in searches, but nothing has ever been found. I assume it is related to this - every session, I get an error message saying:

We're sorry, Baloo File Indexing Daemon closed unexpectedly
Details:
Executable: baloo_file PID: 2830 Signal: Aborted (6) Time: 22.04.16 16:43:05

here's the most recent backtrace.

Can anybody suggest how I could solve this issue? It's infuriating being unable to find files!

http://www.cameralibre.cc
Free Culture videos made with Free/Libre/Open Source Software about Open Hardware, Open Data, Open Everything
davidmar
Registered Member
OS
Hi, sorry I cannot help more but for this if I were you I would file a bug with Kubuntu and report the backtrace to them. It is possible it is a packaging or upgrade type issue. The other suggestion I have is if you are able also check your logs for further clues as to what could be happening.
sammuirhead
Registered Member
OS
OK, thanks, I have submtted a bug report.

When you say "check your logs for further clues", can you suggest how I might go about doing that, and what I should be looking for?

http://www.cameralibre.cc
Free Culture videos made with Free/Libre/Open Source Software about Open Hardware, Open Data, Open Everything
davidmar
Registered Member
OS
sammuirhead wrote:OK, thanks, I have submtted a bug report.

When you say "check your logs for further clues", can you suggest how I might go about doing that, and what I should be looking for?

You might find this helpful:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxLogFiles

Basically just search for baloo (or baloo_file) and things like segmentation faults or error messages relating to it. I think Kubuntu is systemd now? If so you can use 'journalctl' to see the logs. For instance 'journalctl -r' should show you the latest entries first (in reverse order). Also I believe 'journalctl --no-pager | grep -i baloo' might yield some info.

I probably would have filed the bug with the Kubuntu distribution and not KDE because there are already a ton of such bugs filed for baloo and because it is possible it is a problem with the distro packaging or upgrade process.

If not a Kubuntu packaging or upgrade related issue it is also possible it might have been fixed in a later version. I note it states you are using Frameworks 5.18 but we are now up to Frameworks 5.21. Baloo is a package which has a considerable amount of differences sometimes been versions and there has been a lot of movement with it.
alekeagle
Registered Member
OS
I had the same issue on Kubuntu 20.04, however, I was able to fix the issue by running:
Code: Select all
balooctl purge
balooctl enable

I'm assuming since I upgraded from 19.04 to 19.10, then to 20.04 somewhere in those steps the database got corrupted, or it wasn't supported or something of the sort. So a quick repopulation of the db would make sense in fixing it.