This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

baloo 5.22.0 not indexing extensionless text files

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tobym
Registered Member
I know this was an issue in the past but it's my understanding that it was resolved in new versions of baloo. I have baloo 5.22.0 (on Debian Testing with KDE 5.6) and various text files are not being found when I search for them using krunner.

I've disabled content indexing, so I only use baloo to index by filename. I've tried "balooctl disable" followed by "balooctl enable", and a day or two later, I believe it's finished indexing. But text files without any extension such as "shopping list" still do not appear in krunner when I search for them.

Because I have many such files, it's an issue for me. Does anyone know what else I might try to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.
google01103
Manager
think you need to delete and then reindex the baloo db and then it should work as expected

see https://community.kde.org/Baloo/Configuration (note: think the instructions are wrong and that first run should be set to true)

I suggest you stop baloo (balooctl stop) before and restart it after (balooctl start) deleting the db (~/.local/share/baloo/) and changing ~/.config/baloofilerc

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

tobym
Registered Member
google01103 wrote:I suggest you stop baloo (balooctl stop) before and restart it after (balooctl start) deleting the db (~/.local/share/baloo/) and changing ~/.config/baloofilerc

Thanks for your advice, google01103. I did exactly as your suggested. After letting baloo index for several hours, I ran "balooctl status" and got:
Code: Select all
Indexer state: Idle
Indexed 220453 / 220453 files

So it seems like indexing is complete. But still extensionless text files will not show up when I search for them in krunner. I also tried searching using the standard "search" KDE widget which is a magnifying glass icon on my panel. No results there, either.

By running "balooctl status [filename]" I believe the program will tell you if the file has been indexed and is ready to be searched, correct? When I try this on any extensionless text file, I get back the following:

Basic Indexing: Done
Content Indexing: Done

So it seems like these files have been indexed. Even after running this command on a specific extensionless text file, when I then try to search for that file using krunner or the search widget I come up with no result.

Here is my ~/.config/baloofilerc in case anyone can detect what the problem might be. Note that, as google01103 mentioned, before indexing began the file was manually set to include "first run=true". After indexing this is now set to false.

Also my installation of KDE has a second baloofilerc (located at ~/.kde/share/config/baloofilerc). I'm not sure why there are two baloofilerc, and which is actually used by baloo, but this second version is virtually identical (after a few modifications by me) to ~/.config/baloofilerc. One difference is that ~/.kde/share/config/baloofilerc is missing "dbVersion=2" for whatever reason.

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this!

~/.config/baloofilerc:
Code: Select all
[Basic Settings]
Indexing-Enabled=true

[General]
dbVersion=2
exclude filters=po,autom4te,config.status,*.csproj,*.rcore,qrc_*.cpp,CMakeTmp,confstat,*.m4,litmain.sh,*.pyc,*.tmp,*.swap,*.pc,*.class,*.omf,cmake_install.cmake,*.la,core-dumps,*.elc,Makefile.am,CVS,.git,CMakeCache.txt,*.po,.svn,*.aux,*.orig,*.moc,.bzr,.pch,lzo,*.lo,CTestTestfile.cmake,moc_*.cpp,_darcs,*.part,ui_*.h,*.rej,*.gmo,*.o,CMakeTmpQmake,confdefs.h,.obj,libtool,.hg,*~,*.vm*,CMakeFiles,__pycache__,.xsession-errors*,lost+found,*.loT,.uic,.histfile.*,conftest,*.nvram,.moc
exclude filters version=2
first run=false
folders[$e]=$HOME/
index hidden folders=false
only basic indexing=true
google01103
Manager
the bug was fixed, see bug https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=358098

could be you still need a newer version of Baloo as the bug was fixed in March

do they show in the Dolphin Places panel under Search For -> Documents ?

I'm running baloo 5.23 and previously to yesterday I could confirm your issue, but I deleted and reindexed and it seems to work though not perfectly. Seems the search results from the widget, Krunner and Dolphin are not completely the same though they are all giving results

tobym
Registered Member
Thanks for all the help, google01103. No, they didn't show up using the "search for documents" feature in Dolphin. Maybe the issue is resolved in 5.23 and because I'm on 5.22 it hasn't reached me yet. I guess i'll just wait a bit longer and re-try your instructions above when 5.23 is on my system.

If that doesn't work I could also eventually just add the .txt extension to all my text files, too.
google01103
Manager
you may want to try as a new user, its alway a good test to determine if its a system or account issue

note: I don't know in what version it was fixed only that when I tested and re-indexed it worked and that was 5.23 (I hadn't tried in earlier releases)

pitlochry
Registered Member
After updating baloo and following https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=358098, baloo can now finally search for extensionless text files on the command line (baloosearch)

But neither in krunner nor in the Application dashboard these files show up. How can I fix this?
tobym
Registered Member
pitlochry wrote:After updating baloo and following https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=358098, baloo can now finally search for extensionless text files on the command line (baloosearch)

But neither in krunner nor in the Application dashboard these files show up. How can I fix this?

Yes, I'm on baloo-kf5 5.25 and the problem still isn't fixed. Just like you said, the command line baloosearch will find these files but krunner and the launchers/dashboard do not. It's too bad because the GUI methods of finding files are much quicker and almost always what I use.

If anyone knows anything, please let us know :\
pitlochry
Registered Member
tobym wrote:
pitlochry wrote:After updating baloo and following https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=358098, baloo can now finally search for extensionless text files on the command line (baloosearch)

Yes, I'm on baloo-kf5 5.25 and the problem still isn't fixed. Just like you said, the command line baloosearch will find these files but krunner and the launchers/dashboard do not. It's too bad because the GUI methods of finding files are much quicker and almost always what I use.

If anyone knows anything, please let us know :\

I filed a bug-report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=370997

Supposedly (!) this bug was fixed in 2014, but since 2015 text/plain files are not interpreted as documents, which is the reason why Krunner or Launcher or Dashboard or "Dolphin->Find->Documents" do not find them, whereas baloosearch or "Dolphin->Find->Any" do find them.

It would be so great/quicker to open a text/plain file over Krunner or dashboard.
stz
Registered Member
Seems to work now after the recent update to 17.04
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
stz wrote:Seems to work now after the recent update to 17.04

That's rather unrelated to the KDE Applications version (if that's what you mean with "17.04").

There was a problem in kfilemetadata 5.32.0 that broke indexing for plain text files though that got fixed in 5.33.0... ;)
https://cgit.kde.org/kfilemetadata.git/ ... 4d1ff16ece
(basically, plain text files were not "recognized" as text/plain)