This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Krunner

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
quadransmuralis
Registered Member

Krunner

Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:19 pm
How is it that Krunner can't find certain files that Dolphin can find?
Specifically I have in mind Freeplane files with the .mm extension.

Can anyone please tell me what I have to do to make Krunner find these files?

Thx

I'm using Neptune 7, KDE Plasma 5.20.5 (but the problem exists on more recent versions of Plasma too)
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Re: Krunner

Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:08 pm
Hi!

This depends on the search engine you are using. KRunner uses Baloo and has its own settings what to find (Settings symbol left to the line edit). Dolphin also supports searching without relying on a database and searches directories directly or with KFind and other tools (if installed).

So first to check baloo:
Code: Select all
# status — is it running?
balooctl status

# stuck on a file?
qdbus org.kde.baloo /fileindexer org.kde.baloo.fileindexer.currentFile

# does baloo find what you are looking for?
baloosearch --type audio Iron Maiden
quadransmuralis
Registered Member

Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:21 pm
Hi Koffeinfriedhof,
Command line is a little above my skill level.
However, after running your first command I got
"Baloo File Indexer is running".

Can you tell what to do with the next two commands please?

Thx.
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:50 pm
The qdbus-command is just an example. Depends on the status message of baloo, so I cannot tell you what to do. Are all files already indexed? Does baloo run or is idle due to powersaving or similar? IF it is stuck at one file, you can use the above command to check the file. You can see it if the indexer is not idling and the file counters do not change.

The last command was just an example on how to search. For more examples, you should visit the baloo-link I've posted.

Next things to check: Is the folder containing these files indexed? Default is your homefolder, without hidden files or file contents. You can check/change this using balooctl or in Systemsettings → Search.

In your case, try to type `baloosearch filename` if it isn't to generic, or `balooshow /path/to/one/of/the/files` to see if it is already indexed.
quadransmuralis
Registered Member

Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:41 am
Hi Koffeinfriedhof,
I think all my files in the designated folder (file search page in plasma settings) are indexed.
Krunner finds all my files in this folder with the exception of Freeplane files with the .mm extension.
Krunner will, however, find such files and show them under Recent Files, if they have been opened recently.

It just seems a pity that Dolphin can find all my files including .mm files, but not Krunner. I have seen that others have reported a similar problem for .tex files regarding Krunner.

Thx for your help.
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:00 am
Check the exclude rules
balooctl config ls excludeFilters
balooctl config ls excludeMimetypes

Check filetype and index